comfortable hard hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper chopper

I recently took a osha 30 training course and learned that all saftey equipment shall be worn comfortably, well I dont know about you but wearing a hard hat all day sucks. If any one can post a link to a more comfortable hard hat than the 10 dollar one that most companies give out please do>>>>>

cadpoint

Of all the hats I've ever wore, this is the one I like best, 475369MSA_120x0[1].jpg

MSA Full Brim Hard Hat w/ Ratchet suspension.

You can check others here!

Last edited:

sii

I recently took a osha 30 training course and learned that all saftey equipment shall be worn comfortably, well I dont know about you but wearing a hard hat all day sucks. If any one can post a link to a more comfortable hard hat than the 10 dollar one that most companies give out please do>>>>>

I always chuckle at guys complaining about hard hats. I've never minded wearing one although I admit it does take re-getting-used-to if I go without one for awhile. Safety glasses are my bane. In sixteen years I've yet to find a comfortable pair.....almost tolerable maybe but certainly not comfortable.

To contribute, Grainger has a ton to choose from. I've bought several from there although we are only required to wear ANSI type I and not all the time at that. I personally like MSA hats.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I always chuckle at guys complaining about hard hats. I've never minded wearing one although I admit it does take re-getting-used-to if I go without one for awhile. Safety glasses are my bane. In sixteen years I've yet to find a comfortable pair.....almost tolerable maybe but certainly not comfortable.

To contribute, Grainger has a ton to choose from. I've bought several from there although we are only required to wear ANSI type I and not all the time at that. I personally like MSA hats.

I like these, I have had a terrible time finding one that wont fog up when you get hot and sweaty. So far, these are the best. As an added bonus, the reader part doesn't interfere with normal wear. Keeps me from carrying reading glasses and safety glasses.

http://www.abcsafetyglasses.com/sb1820r15.html

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Of all the hats I've ever wore, this is the one I like best, View attachment 6944

MSA Full Brim Hard Hat w/ Ratchet suspension.

You can check others here!

That is the one we wear.(Or looks like it) I know this is hard to believe, but once you get used to it, you will (and I have) forget it is on your head.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

I chuckle too! At myself as well as others. You see a guy complain about hard hats and safety glasses on the job site, and watch them drive home in a ball cap and sunglasses. To a large extent the problem is phsycological. I suffer from it right along with everyone else.

kwired

Electron manager
If you think the average hard hat is heavy try wearing kevlar helmets that our military guys wear, or worse yet the steel helmets worn by the soldiers a generation or two ago. They still used steel pots when I was in basic training - you eventually do get used to them - especially when getting caught without it means some kind of physical punishment:happyyes:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The insides make all the difference.

I have a padded adjuster that I transfer from hard hat to hard hat. It's the kind with a knob you spin to make it fit perfectly every time you put it on.

The padded adjuster is so comfortable I actually feel strange on site without a hard hat on. The hats they give out free suck and are very uncomfortable. It came with a hard hat I got years ago so I can't say where it came from, but I can say that it makes a world of difference.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
If you think the average hard hat is heavy try wearing kevlar helmets that our military guys wear, or worse yet the steel helmets worn by the soldiers a generation or two ago. They still used steel pots when I was in basic training - you eventually do get used to them - especially when getting caught without it means some kind of physical punishment:happyyes:

That is why we came home with necks the size of our thighs.

renosteinke

First, define the use for the hard hat.

For example, are you outside, in the weather ... or indoors? Are you typically in somewhat cramped quarters?

Outside, in the sun, all day ..... some amnner of full-brim, even one of the 'cowboy' hats, are the way to go.
Ordinary construction duties? Look for a hat with a 'longer' brim, and a rain gutter that directs water away from your neck and out, over the brim.

Inside, in an industrial setting? Look for one with a short brim.

Hot days? Look for a vented model; those little holes make a big difference.

The suspension matters- a lot. Six points are more comfortable than four. Ratchet adjust is much better than snap-ins. A foam brow band is better than smooth vinyl.

If you're in circumstances where the thing just keeps falling off, you might want to look at other types of protection, such as rock climbing helmets. That's another discussion.

Other attachments? Some hats allow you to clip on accessories, like face shields and ear muffs. Others don't.

Probably the biggest factor is weight ... but even the heaviest will stop bothering you once your neck muscles build up.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

klein tools, i like the cowboy one, yeehaa1:lol: somebody makes one that looks like "woodys' hat" from toy story, not so good. and yes, good suspension. a ratchet adjustment is best.imo

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I hate wearing a hard hat and I only have to wear one from time to time. I like the rachet too, but because I'm looking around a lot, I tend to crank it down so that it doesn't fall off and by the time I'm done I have this big red mark across my forehead of my hair is messed up for the rest of the day. The day I wear a ball cap that's fine, but I don't wear one all the time any more. I should look at getting a pad for mine that would help with the forehead tattoo.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I hate wearing a hard hat and I only have to wear one from time to time. I like the rachet too, but because I'm looking around a lot, I tend to crank it down so that it doesn't fall off and
by the time I'm done I have this big red mark across my forehead of my hair is messed up for the rest of the day. The day I wear a ball cap that's fine, but I don't wear one all the time any more. I should look at getting a pad for mine that would help with the forehead tattoo.
Ahh, the grass is always greener...
I'm jealous. I hate wearing a hard hat too, and often have to crank down on the ratchet for the similar reasons. The difference between you and me is, by the time I'm done all I have is the big red mark across the forehead.

On the upside. When I get home late from work and need to go to a social event, turn around time is twelve minutes. A quick shower, fresh clothes and I am out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.