coming into top of 3R wireway outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Tulsa, I dont quite follow. Regular compression EMT connector would not compliant outside no matter how you dress it up with a hub or sealing locknut (both of which are technically not compliant to use on a EMT connector). Why not just use a RT EMT connector right into the top by itself?
Because some of them have/had a gasket that is a genuine unadulterated POS.

Those with the harder material are available and much preferred. Even so, just a tad of exterior grade silicon is a good add.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Oh for sure, I wasn't saying they work well, just that they meet code. 😉
Because some of them have/had a gasket that is a genuine unadulterated POS.

Those with the harder material are available and much preferred. Even so, just a tad of exterior grade silicon is a good add.

Tulsa, I dont quite follow. Regular compression EMT connector would not compliant outside no matter how you dress it up with a hub or sealing locknut (both of which are technically not compliant to use on a EMT connector). Why not just use a RT EMT connector right into the top by itself?
That's kinda the point I was making based on what Larry said.
That is why it makes good sense.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be a specific code requirement to use a "weatherproof" conduit entry on the top of a 3R wireway. 376.10(3) says permitted In wet locations where wireways are listed for the
purpose. Do the instructions dictate entry methods? I have never thought to look.
314.15 may be what we’re looking for? It’s reference to fittings.

Greentagger

Occupation
Only fittings used to connect raceways and cables to boxes and conduit bodies. (See scope at beginning of 314.) But then again, our OP is arguably using the 'trough' as a pull box.

FWIW, we use myers hubs.
And the wireway is considered as a raceway as defined in scope?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
And the wireway is considered as a raceway as defined in scope?
The definition of "metal wireway" refers to itself as a raceway.

Of course, the same collection of metal parts might simultaneously meet the definitions of "metal wireway" and of "pull box" (which isn't actually defined anywhere that I see). So then when you use that collection of metal parts, somehow you have to decide whether you are using it as a "metal wireway" subject to Article 376, or a "pull box" subject to Article 314. Or both?

I.e. is this connection in question a transition from one raceway type to another raceway type, or is it a termination of a raceway at a pull box?

Cheers, Wayne

Greentagger

Occupation
The definition of "metal wireway" refers to itself as a raceway.

Of course, the same collection of metal parts might simultaneously meet the definitions of "metal wireway" and of "pull box" (which isn't actually defined anywhere that I see). So then when you use that collection of metal parts, somehow you have to decide whether you are using it as a "metal wireway" subject to Article 376, or a "pull box" subject to Article 314. Or both?

I.e. is this connection in question a transition from one raceway type to another raceway type, or is it a termination of a raceway at a pull box?

Cheers, Wayne
And doesn’t 376.10(3) maintain that associated fittings required to comply as fittings are included in scope of 376?

kwired

Electron manager
Because 99.99% of those I ever did directly install ended up having the gasket deteriorate within a year or two and they were no longer rain tight, plus it resulted in being loose enough fit that there was no bonding either. I only did this for a short time after they pushed the "raintight" EMT fittings on us then went back to using myers hubs for those situations.

The RT fittings are a joke. A standard compression fitting will never leak more water from "rain" than will end up inside the raceway because of condensation anyway. Even if you forget to tighten it this likely is still true in many cases.

Because 99.99% of those I ever did directly install ended up having the gasket deteriorate within a year or two and they were no longer rain tight, plus it resulted in being loose enough fit that there was no bonding either. I only did this for a short time after they pushed the "raintight" EMT fittings on us then went back to using myers hubs for those situations.

The RT fittings are a joke. A standard compression fitting will never leak more water from "rain" than will end up inside the raceway because of condensation anyway. Even if you forget to tighten it this likely is still true in many cases.
Of course the fittings are a joke. I guess my stance is I don't even see what the point of keeping water out of a 3r wireway is. Even if you go to Great lengths using a Meyers hub, all the rain tight fittings above it are going to leak anyway (plus the risk an idiot inspector will cite threading the EMT connector into a Myers hub which he is technically correct about). So why bother? Why not just save the money on the Myers hub and use just the rain tight fitting which is code approved, maybe add a little silicone if you want.

kwired

Electron manager
Of course the fittings are a joke. I guess my stance is I don't even see what the point of keeping water out of a 3r wireway is. Even if you go to Great lengths using a Meyers hub, all the rain tight fittings above it are going to leak anyway (plus the risk an idiot inspector will cite threading the EMT connector into a Myers hub which he is technically correct about). So why bother? Why not just save the money on the Myers hub and use just the rain tight fitting which is code approved, maybe add a little silicone if you want.
I see your point to some degree on a wireway, but not always on other enclosures.
From that perspective though what is the point of using a type 3R wireway?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I have always wondered what the point is. It's analogous to rain tight EMT fittings. Conductors have to be wet rated anyway and raceways allowed to drain so even if they did keep water out I don't really see what the point is.
The 3r ones have the top set up to drain away from the inside with that little lip. I do think that lip makes a difference but maybe that could be a construction requirement not a listing requirement.

kwired

Electron manager
The 3r ones have the top set up to drain away from the inside with that little lip. I do think that lip makes a difference but maybe that could be a construction requirement not a listing requirement.
A cabinet or junction box can have exposed/semi exposed live components inside a wireway can only have conductors for the most part including splices and taps which if outside need to be wet rated anyway is what this particular aspect is all about. I can see the argument that certain splice/tap methods would not be wet rated and could agree you at least need to maintain the 3R rating if those are in use. But remember 3R has drain holes and often non gasketed doors/access panels so it still doesn't assure there will be no water at all inside the enclosure.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

I totally agree.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.