comm. service conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

haleyjo1

In the area i am working everyone uses 2/0 copper for 200 amp services i think this is incorrect but cant seem to prove it .I know it is fine in a house but these are coommercial properties.

barbeer

Your assumptions are more than likely correct, 310.16 does not rate 2/0 CU for 200 amps in the 75 degree column which is mostly used today. However, if the connected load does not exceed the rating of the conductor it could be installed with the next higher breaker size. 240.4

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
barbeer,
However, if the connected load does not exceed the rating of the conductor it could be installed with the next higher breaker size. 240.4
No, that is not possible in this case. The rating of 2/0 in the 75?C column is 175 amps and that is a standard OCPD size so there is no next larger standard size. 240.6
Don

dana1028

barbeer said:
Your assumptions are more than likely correct, 310.16 does not rate 2/0 CU for 200 amps in the 75 degree column which is mostly used today. However, if the connected load does not exceed the rating of the conductor it could be installed with the next higher breaker size. 240.4

You can only use the 'next higher breaker' rule when your conductors do not correspond with a standard rating of a fuse/breaker. 2/0 at 75 degrees is good for 175A, and that is a standard size [240.6]

[Don is supposed to be at work and not sitting here reading and responding to forum discussions at this time of day].

cpal

does this service have a 200A main??

Or some combination of ocpd that sum to 200A???

230.90(A) exc#3

barbeer

don_resqcapt19 said:
barbeer,

No, that is not possible in this case. The rating of 2/0 in the 75?C column is 175 amps and that is a standard OCPD size so there is no next larger standard size. 240.6
Don

You are correct sir! Even inspectors slip up sometime.:)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
break

break

don_resqcapt19 said:
It is break time here:smile:

Gentlemen: I believe we have an example of the highest form of dedication to Mike's forum. H0Hos and soft drinks be damned, its breaktime and I;m going to my laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.