First question do all need disconnect
Do disconnect have to be in 1 location.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a commercial bldg w 1 restaurant and
3 general tenant spaces. 3 200 a pnls 1 100a house panel. Restaurant is 600 amp
First question do all need disconnect
Do disconnect have to be in 1 location.
Well if you have a separate panel for each space there probably is at very least a feeder disconnect for each of those panels.

Multiple occupancy applications typically can be treated as if they were separate buildings and if so you can run an individual service to each one.

Read through 230 part I for number of servcies and part VI for disconnecting means.

If you would bring everything to one location (maybe use a meter center) then you likely are leaving that one location with feeders and not service conductors, art 230 would then stop a the meter center.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Agree with kwired.
There is no "one size fits all" answer.
In addition to his reference to 230 part I and VI, keep in mind 240.24(B), access to overcurrent devices.
In our area the "house panel" often puts a fly in the ointment as they tend to be outside and 230.72 requires "grouping of disconnects" leadig to a interpretaion here of "If one disconnect is outside, they must all be grouped outside"

kwired

Electron manager
Agree with kwired.
There is no "one size fits all" answer.
In addition to his reference to 230 part I and VI, keep in mind 240.24(B), access to overcurrent devices.
In our area the "house panel" often puts a fly in the ointment as they tend to be outside and 230.72 requires "grouping of disconnects" leadig to a interpretaion here of "If one disconnect is outside, they must all be grouped outside"
I myself don't believe that is what NEC intended, as long as they each are installed in or on the separate occupancy they serve it shouldn't matter. Multiple occupancy buildings often have at least 2 hour fire wall between them, and from building code standards that somewhat makes them effectively separate buildings for many fire and egress requirements. Here they have often allowed an addition to a school, church or other similar type single owner/occupancy building to have a separate service run to it as long as there is a 2 hour rating between the existing and the addition, fire doors are allowed but must automatically close if the fire alarm is activated, and no circuit supplies loads in the "other building". Fire alarm and communications can run between "buildings" though. They also want signs indicating there are other service disconnecting means in the facility and must describe where they are located.

Status
Not open for further replies.