Commercial coffee maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_p

Hi,

Need to look at a job tomorrow. Commercial coffee maker.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:
PHASE: 1PH
VOLTS: 220V
AMPS: 19.5A
HEATING CONFIG: 2X2000W
WIRE: 3W+G
WATTS: 4300W
HERTZ: 50/60 HZ
GALLONS PER HOUR: 10.5 GAL/HR
SIZE: 29.63”H X 18.13”W X 22.13”D
NOTES: Professional Installation Required; Dedicated Water Line And Power Supply (Not Included) Within 4'-6' Of Brewer. Cord And Plug Not Included.

I think a 20A circuit would be good at 240V, being a single receptacle.

If supply voltage is 208V then the amps come in at 20.7 which bumps me to a 30A circuit.

Or is the nameplate data what should be used?

Thanks

Buck Parrish

Ussualy we'd use the name plate. But ussually it's tested at 230 not 220. So I'm not sure. I'm guessing 125 percent would not pertain because it's not continuous.

broadgage

IMHO, it depends on exactly what they mean by "220 volt" .
Sometimes "220 volt" is used as shorthand when the real meaning is "suitable for operation from 208 volt or from 240 volt circuits"

Other times it means "intended for 220 volt circuits"

The appliance is stated to require a 3 wire plus ground circuit, this strongly suggests it is intended for the American market because a European appliance would be for 2 wire plus ground circuits.
Since 220 volts is not a standard service voltage in the USA, that in turn suggests that the coffee maker is for operation from either 208 volts or 240 volts. In which case a 20 amp circuit would suffice.

If however they mean that the appliance is truly designed for 220volts, then at 240volts it will draw more current, probably in excess of 20 amps.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sometimes "220 volt" is used as shorthand when the real meaning is "suitable for operation from 208 volt or from 240 volt circuits"

The appliance is stated to require a 3 wire plus ground circuit, this strongly suggests it is intended for the American market because a European appliance would be for 2 wire plus ground circuits.
Since 220 volts is not a standard service voltage in the USA, that in turn suggests that the coffee maker is for operation from either 208 volts or 240 volts. In which case a 20 amp circuit would suffice.

If however they mean that the appliance is truly designed for 220volts, then at 240volts it will draw more current, probably in excess of 20 amps.

You might be right. If the rated output is 4300 watts @ 220 volts as mentioned in the specifications then using it on a 240 volt system would bump you over the 20 amps.

kwired

Electron manager

Most the time the nameplate amps/watts/etc. are what the unit draws if nameplate voltage is supplied.

In particular with motors it may have 230 volts nameplate voltage, that usually means if you supply it with 230 volts and load it to rated horsepower any stated amps, efficiency, power factor on that nameplate will be accurate at that output load and supplied voltage. Vary voltage and or load and things start to change. Coffee maker being a resistive load don't have as many variables as the motor example and amps will change in proportion to changes in voltage, but most likely if input volts is supplied you will see amps stated on nameplate (within a tolerance zone for error).

JFletcher

Hi,

Need to look at a job tomorrow. Commercial coffee maker.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:
PHASE: 1PH
VOLTS: 220V
AMPS: 19.5A
HEATING CONFIG: 2X2000W
WIRE: 3W+G
WATTS: 4300W
HERTZ: 50/60 HZ
GALLONS PER HOUR: 10.5 GAL/HR
SIZE: 29.63”H X 18.13”W X 22.13”D
NOTES: Professional Installation Required; Dedicated Water Line And Power Supply (Not Included) Within 4'-6' Of Brewer. Cord And Plug Not Included.

I think a 20A circuit would be good at 240V, being a single receptacle.

If supply voltage is 208V then the amps come in at 20.7 which bumps me to a 30A circuit.

Or is the nameplate data what should be used?

Thanks

Typical European spec. Probably why it doesn't come with a cord either.

We do not have a 220 volt nominal supply here. If your incoming voltage is 208, the number 12 conductors to a 6-20 receptacle would be fine. If your voltage is 240, you are going to be over 20 amps, and youll need number 10 conductors with a 6-30 receptacle.

Most commercial properties are going to have a 208y/120 volt supply, and not a high leg Delta providing 240 volts.

Without knowing the design of the coffee pot, I would not make the assumption that it couldn't be a continuous load... I'm not exactly an expert in commercial euro-spec cutting edge coffee making equipment, you know?

In any event, when there are too many unknowns, I'm going to pull in #10 wire and be done with it. The receptacle and or breaker are much easier to change at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.