Commercial job questions...what is a testwell ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I don't do commercial very often, can you please help me? A ground testwell is required on this job. What is that ? Also, 'contractor will perform a smoke test on all conduits installed.' What is a smoke test ? What is a "Pre and Post test" on all low voltage cables ? 'Provide one # 500 kcmil ground from service ground bar to (3) 10' ground rods.' 500 kcmil ? the blueprint didn't say Al or Cu. But either way, that size ? Why ?
The job is relocating a single phase 100 amp subpanel in a museum. GC just sent me the prints, I look at the job next week.
thank you so much!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A test well is a covered well in the ground or concrete basement floor where the ground rod is buried. The top of the rod and the GEC are accessible for testing by removing the well cover.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Smoke test? I googled that unless your going through a Hazardas location, and everything needs to be sealed?? I don't know why they would do that.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Smoke test? I googled that unless your going through a Hazardas location, and everything needs to be sealed?? I don't know why they would do that.
Generally smoke testing is used to find leaks in plumbing systems, not conduit systems. I have no idea what they think they want.

I think your best bet on these crazy requirements is to just ask them. It's possible they need them for some reason. Being a museum perhaps they need to control bugs coming in through the conduit or something. No idea what a 500 MCM grounding electrode conductor would do other than spend a lot of money for nothing particularly with three 10 ft ground rods.

Far as the pre and post test maybe they are looking for some kind of insulation test of the conductors before they were installed and after. No idea though. Something you need to ask them about.

But as long as everybody is bidding the same thing, I don't see why you can't do whatever they want as long as they are paying the bill.

RWC/NC.

Occupation
Electrical
The term "smoke test" was commonly used many years ago in our trade, (especially in the south) for closing the switch and testing & seeing if equipment & the apparatus would hold & operate correctly, during closing of the switch & powering it up.

The term was used during energizing the circuits, for first time powering-up applications. .. (Slang).

AKA... He's preforming a "smoke test" on the circuitry. *The term was used many years ago in the field.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The term "smoke test" was commonly used many years ago in our trade, (especially in the south) for closing the switch and testing & seeing if equipment & the apparatus would hold & operate correctly, during closing of the switch & powering it up.

The term was used during energizing the circuits, for first time powering-up applications. .. (Slang).

AKA... He's preforming a "smoke test" on the circuitry. *The term was used many years ago in the field.
The obvious implication being that if smoke came out, the equipment failed the test. Needless to say some engineers preferred a more structured testing program that did not risk destroying the equipment if there was a problem.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I too have smoked tested a lot of electrical equipment over the years.......just not on purpose! :)
Not the sort of smoke test you want. Lol. Not sure of smoke test OP is looking for or reason being asked for unless dealing with classified areas. Then might be looking for seal verification with smoke?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

It is used that way elsewhere as well. I am pretty sure that is not what the spec is asking for though.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The pre-test and post-tests are probably for data cables. You test them on the reel (or have the factory test them before shipping) to make sure you aren't installing something that is damaged, or something that will never pass data cabling standards. That's the pre-test.

Then once the cables are installed and terminated, they are tested again. That would be the post-test.

Smoke test - maybe for the fire alarm smoke detectors?? The fire alarm contractor uses a can of simulated smoke to make sure the detectors respond properly.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The pre-test and post-tests are probably for data cables. You test them on the reel (or have the factory test them before shipping) to make sure you aren't installing something that is damaged, or something that will never pass data cabling standards. That's the pre-test.

Then once the cables are installed and terminated, they are tested again. That would be the post-test.

Smoke test - maybe for the fire alarm smoke detectors?? The fire alarm contractor uses a can of simulated smoke to make sure the detectors respond properly.
I think the OP needs to overcome his fear of asking what they mean by these terms.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Thank you all ! I decided to pass this to a friend who does more commercial work. I've recommended my friend electrician to this same customer before and it went well. Thank you for your information. If my friend can't get to it, I may still end up doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.