Commercial Kitchen Outlets Require GFCI's or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartdmc

We are designing a commercial kitchen and in the past we would provide GFCI outlets above the counters for all convenant 120v outlets. I need to confirm somthing, has the code changed to where all 120v 20amp outlets even those that feed equipment within the kichen require GFCI protection?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NEC 2008 req. all 125V single phase 15- or 20 amp receptacles (not outlets) to be gfci in Kitchens other than dwellings. Note it does not say counter receptacles.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
2002 NEC it was 210.8(B)(3) but was still the same requirement for ALL 125 volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles installed in a commercial kitchen require GFCI protection, not just receptacles serving the countertop.

Chris

Thanks Chris I didn't have a 2002 book but the 2005 had a bar so I knew it was a change.

hurk27

There has never been a requirement for receptacles in commercial kitchen's to be GFCI protected until the 2002 code change, there were never any exceptions to dedicated space appliances for commercial kitchen's, this does get crossed up with the requirements for dwellings which did have the exceptions up until the 2008 code change.

Status
Not open for further replies.