Commercial Kitchen Time

Ok, I’m sure this has come up several times and I am unable to search the archive :
A commercial kitchen (coffee shop)

A certain authority has stated that since everything is cord and plug connected it constitutes a non-permanent provision and this does not require GFCI protection.

While the 2020 Handbook says in the additional text just after 210.8 B (2) ;

…….a portable cooking appliance (e.g., cord-and-plug-connected microwave or hot plate)
Does not constitute a permanent cooking facility. Kitchens in restaurants …… are covered by this requirement.

That to me says break-rooms however this is a dine-in restaurant with food and drink available to the consumer.

If I were a business owner I sure would like my personnel protected from 3ø and 1ø electrocution.
I myself feel that it’s not a dwelling unit, it’s a commercial kitchen. It’s all 125V~250V 1ø 50 amps and less plus the rest. It’s how I’ve always done kitchens.

Any and all interpretations welcome. Thanks and have a great weekend!

To be clear, the authority is the engineer with their approved stamped drawings. Three cord and plug operated appliances are located under the ansul/SLC connected hood. Those heat generating appliances are all on shunt trip breakers. The rest of the appliances are under counter fridges, ice makers, line coolers, vitamixers, hot and cold cases.
Aside from the obvious 6’ to inside edge of sink rule, no gfi breakers listed for any espresso machines or high current devices.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it's a kitchen it doesn't matter how the appliances are connected. So the question is what is a kitchen and what's a permanent provision for food prep and cooking? A cord and plug connected appliance?

Here's the NEC definition.

Kitchen.
An area with a sink and permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
If it's a kitchen it doesn't matter how the appliances are connected. So the question is what is a kitchen and what's a permanent provision for food prep and cooking? A cord and plug connected appliance?

Here's the NEC definition.
I, and I believe most of us hate the definition. Nothing is permanent, right?

Ron

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If it’s not a NEC requirement, it is an OSHA requirement. (Commercial kitchens)
Arby’s went back and changed all of their kitchen receptacles to GFI. Apparently they had an employee incident.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The language pertaining to non-dwellings says “kitchens or areas with a sink and permanent provisions for either food preparation or cooking.”

A coffee bar definitely meets this definition. It doesn’t matter that the equipment is cord-and-plug connected, every receptacle must be gfci protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I agree that this is a kitchen and GFCI protection is required.

If I understand the OP, the engineer of record on the project has stamped plans which contain an interpretation saying GFCI not required. IMHO this is a case of someone trying to be clever: the space is clearly a kitchen but all of the appliances are cord and plug connected and thus not permanent.

What really matters here is the interpretation of the AHJ inspector and the customer.

I would push back and tell the engineer that the installation will not pass, and that GFCI protection is will be required by the AHJ. If the engineer won't budge, suggest they have the conversation directly with the AHJ.

If they won't have the conversation, or if there are no inspections, then you need to protect yourself. Document with the customer your belief that GFCIs are required, and that if you are hired to perform what you know is an incorrect installation you are not on the hook for changing things in the future. Probably need a lawyer to write things correctly.

I'm not stressed about the life safety aspect because reasonably safe restaurant kitchens have been built for a long time without GFCIs. I think OPs major risk is monetary. That they are going to be pushed to do an incorrect installation, and then at some later stage one of the many code enforcement agencies will notice and demand a correction. Then the customer will say the OP is responsible for fixing the error.

Jon

I agree 100 percent. In fact my interpretation of a permanent provision is a dedicated circuit for said appliance. My last company had a tough time with it too. The inspector said, “is that a cutting board? Is that a sink?
Everything needs a gfi”

Thank you all for the feedback. Time to make some more phone calls.