Commercial Occupancy not Listed Table 220.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
For a ball mill at a mine I used the listing “workshop” from NEC table 220.12 at 1.7 VA x outside Dimensions to get lighting load but this is not exactly a workshop. There is no listing for ball mill building.

Is this ok to use? Also owner wants me to calculate service and feeder conductors based on KVA of 3 phase transformer max output rather than motors, LIGHTING and receptacles being used inside. Any thoughts or comments?

The pictures are the emt and lights I installed but LED bulbs supplied by company won’t likely be bright enough at 880 lumens or 60 watts equivalent. Thanks

Attachments

• 723DB33E-D656-4E05-A931-900E95BA053A.jpeg
    723DB33E-D656-4E05-A931-900E95BA053A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Buck Parrish

Something like this might be easiest since you have already installed the lamp holder. The motors above an 1/8th and other loads should be calculated if known.

1665838674296.png

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Yes that’s what I was thinking. These huge 12’x12’ foot motors and general lighting loads need to be factored in when calculating service entrance and feeder cable sizes.

However, owner is not an electrician and has decided to base cable and wire size solely on transformer source output KVA. I have too many variables such as motors that are planned to be added later without nameplate info to go off of.

I had a problem with company before demanding that I install old rusted oversized starters with heaters too large for motor nameplate FLA.

Also had to wire complete houses on company site without appliances specs known.

The law doesn’t protect you from losing your job for not following company orders even if illegal to NEC code. The best your left with is fighting for unemployment with reduced earnings and become in jeopardy of loosing your house and everything you’ve worked for.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yes that’s what I was thinking. These huge 12’x12’ foot motors and general lighting loads need to be factored in when calculating service entrance and feeder cable sizes.
How is it possible that a mine does not have an existing service? Is this a brand new mine?
However, owner is not an electrician and has decided to base cable and wire size solely on transformer source output KVA. I have too many variables such as motors that are planned to be added later without nameplate info to go off of.
I would think that the feeder conductors should be based on the KVA of the transformer. It doesn't matter how many or how few motors and lights you hook up, if you exceed the transformer's capacity it's not going to work for very long.
I had a problem with company before demanding that I install old rusted oversized starters with heaters too large for motor nameplate FLA.

Also had to wire complete houses on company site without appliances specs known.

The law doesn’t protect you from losing your job for not following company orders even if illegal to NEC code. The best your left with is fighting for unemployment with reduced earnings and become in jeopardy of loosing your house and everything you’ve worked for.
Oh boo, hoo. The law may not protect an electrician from losing a job, but the market will. There is such a shortage of skilled workers that the only electricians that don't have jobs are the ones that don't deserve them.

If you used the table values for your lighting load then use LED lighting to that level 5000k lighting would require sunglasses in my experience even 3500k lighting would be very bright lumens of conventional light are not equal to LED lumens as LED in most cases are mostly monochromatic and light meters take all frequencies even light that is not visible to the eye so I would not be concerned there, if you have the required capacity (not what the owner installed that is on them). I cannot tell the height but the type of fixture matters or you cannot use a lightbulb in a high bay and expect proper lighting at the floor level. The last mill (lumber) that I did my lighting panel was sized to the area I put in 6500k high bay Linear and floods, my total lighting load was less than 30% of calculated load requirements and it was very well lit up.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
How is it possible that a mine does not have an existing service? Is this a brand new mine?

I would think that the feeder conductors should be based on the KVA of the transformer. It doesn't matter how many or how few motors and lights you hook up, if you exceed the transformer's capacity it's not going to work for very long.

Oh boo, hoo. The law may not protect an electrician from losing a job, but the market will. There is such a shortage of skilled workers that the only electricians that don't have jobs are the ones that don't deserve them.
However, the transformer and generator or source should be based on or capable of total load demand, or so I think?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation

The mine has service but equipment is often outside of utility range so generators are being used often. As far as lack of workers it doesn’t seem to apply for my area. Most companies in my area want to pay low and train on site

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation

Boo hoo, lol who says this anymore. Last time I heard this came from a mullet

Status
Not open for further replies.