Commercial receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTEL

When installing 120v duplex receptacles in a commercial general use (office environment) application, is it a NEC requirement to pig-tail multiple conductors down to single conductors before connecting them to the receptacle, or can I simply use the receptacle as a means of interconnecting the multiple conductors?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Read 300.13(B) and then tell us how you interpret the requirement.

Roger

WTEL

Thanks for the code reference to 300.13(b). As I see it, it's a requirement only on MULTIWIRE branch circuits. If there are two 12-2 mc's in the j-box, and they are just daisy chaining through to another receptacle, it's ok to use the receptacle as a means for connecting the circuit through rather than pigtail the two hots down to one, and the two neutrals down to one as well. (Obviously the grounds are pigtailed). I still think its better workmanship to pigtail, but now I know it's not an NEC requirement. :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks for the code reference to 300.13(b).

As I see it, it's a requirement only on MULTIWIRE branch circuits. If there are two 12-2 mc's in the j-box, and they are just daisy chaining through to another receptacle, it's ok to use the receptacle as a means for connecting the circuit through rather than pigtail the two hots down to one, and the two neutrals down to one as well. (Obviously the grounds are pigtailed). I still think its better workmanship to pigtail, but now I know it's not an NEC requirement. :)

You're welcome but, I think you need to understand that a "neutral conductor" is the grounded conductor referenced in the article section, so that means you can not "daisy chain" the neutral.

Roger

ceb58

You're welcome but, I think you need to understand that a "neutral conductor" is the grounded conductor referenced in the article section, so that means you can not "daisy chain" the neutral.

Roger

You need to worry about snow chains, the daisy's are gone:D:D:D

WTEL

Thanks again for your reply. As you already know, 300.13(b) refers to multiwire branch circuits. The situation I'm concerned with here simply has two 12-2 mc's in a j-box to connect to a receptacle. One mc is bringing power in, and the other mc is continuing on to the next j-box/receptacle down the row - "snow chaining":) if you will. This isn't a multiwire branch circuit per the NEC definition because there is no voltage between the ungrounded conductors (they are the same circuit). If the neutral (grounded conductor) opens, no unbalanced voltage will occur in the downstream line-to-neutral loads as the neutral (grounded conductor) is not shared with any other circuits. Therefore, in this case, it doesn't appear that the neutrals (grounded conductors) are required to be pigtailed.? It's done all the time in residential work (no pigtails w/single circuit), but I haven't run across it much in commercial work and was just wondering if it was actually a written code applying specifically to commercial/industrial locations. Cheers

Cavie

Thanks again for your reply. As you already know, 300.13(b) refers to multiwire branch circuits. The situation I'm concerned with here simply has two 12-2 mc's in a j-box to connect to a receptacle. One mc is bringing power in, and the other mc is continuing on to the next j-box/receptacle down the row - "snow chaining":) if you will. This isn't a multiwire branch circuit per the NEC definition because there is no voltage between the ungrounded conductors (they are the same circuit). If the neutral (grounded conductor) opens, no unbalanced voltage will occur in the downstream line-to-neutral loads as the neutral (grounded conductor) is not shared with any other circuits. Therefore, in this case, it doesn't appear that the neutrals (grounded conductors) are required to be pigtailed.? It's done all the time in residential work (no pigtails w/single circuit), but I haven't run across it much in commercial work and was just wondering if it was actually a written code applying specifically to commercial/industrial locations. Cheers

There is no pigtail requirement.

stew

roger just so i understand what you are saying you cant daisy chain a neutral on a multiwire, correct?. At least thats the way i read it and have always pigtailed the neutrals on a multiwire. not on a single branch circuit tho. you cain daisy chain or carnation chain or rose chain or chain however you want eh?

Jim W in Tampa

pigtailing is just what many including me is a beter job. Reduces down time if i need to replace it or remove it. On my jobs you will do it but it is just my way. If you prefer not to that is fine. The receptacle is rated to do it. On residential yes i would use the screws to save 2 wire nuts

jetlag

There was a long thread about you are suppose to pigtail the EGC if you use a crimp. Because and EGC is not suppose to pass through the crimp, I knew they would find a way to help sell the green wire nuts :grin::grin: To be stubborn I fold the EGC over and press the loop really flat so it looks like a pigtail in the crimp when you get the other EGC around it :grin::grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
roger just so i understand what you are saying you cant daisy chain a neutral on a multiwire, correct?.
Correct

At least thats the way i read it and have always pigtailed the neutrals on a multiwire.
You have been doing correctly.

not on a single branch circuit tho.
And it is not required so you are fine.

you cain daisy chain or carnation chain or rose chain or chain however you want eh?
Yes

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.