Commercial Remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmanda24

Can anyone recommend a good remodeling box to install some extra outlets with MC Cable in a commercial application. The customer is really cheap and does not want much damage to the drywall.
Thanks

mdshunk

There's only one box that I am aware of at the moment that has a fire rating that you can install fixed to the stud without damaging the building's finish, and it has knockouts for MC cable. That is Arlington's "One Box". Since this box is nonmetallic, you'll either have to have just one MC cable per box, or use bonding jumpers between cables if you have more than one cable per box. In a commercial setting, when adding receptacles, you're about 99% likely to only fish down one MC per box anyhow.

Since you asked, I guess you already know that it is not permissible to use a standard old work box, or a box with Madison straps in a fire wall. The box must be fixed to the framing by some means. I thought that was worth saying, if not for your benefit, but maybe for others.

mdshunk

Pierre C Belarge said:
Marc
How would you bond the multiple MC cables in the box?
Would you use a bonding type connector...if they make such a thing?
A duplex connector and bond bushing are the two that come to mind right off. Honestly, I'd try my best to not bring more than one MC to each box. If I needed lots of conductors, such as at a 2 or 3-gang switch box, I'd use a single MC with more conductors or snake down a piece of Greenfield.

Last edited:
mdshunk said:
A duplex connector and bond bushing are the two that come to mind right off. Honestly, I'd try my best to not bring more than one MC to each box. If I needed lots of conductors, such as at a 2 or 3-gang switch box, I'd use a single MC with more conductors or snake down a piece of Greenfield.

I am out of the field for around 6 years, and I could not think of that...:rolleyes:

You have definitely knocked some of the cobwebs from my cranium...I hope there are not too many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.