Common trip breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbenjamin

After hours of searching I figure it's time to ask those who know. Is it ever legal to tie the handles of single-pole breakers together to make 2 or 3 pole devices?

We are in the process of a multi-city EMS installation project. Most sites have a manufactured load center that comes shipped with all the breaker spaces filled, resulting in 10 to 15 unused 20 amp sp breakers. Most are snap-in Square D with the toggles drilled, just waiting for a roll pin to interconnect them as multiple pole units.

I worked for an electrician years ago that did this regularly, but I always questioned the legality.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Common trip breakers

Handle ties on single pole breakers make them into common disconenct devices, but do not make them common trip devices. If you only need a common disconnect, then "approved" handle ties are fine. If you need a common trip, you must replace the breakers.
Don

templdl

Also, keep in mind that many "common trip" breakers that are assembled from 2 or 3 single pole breakers each having its own handle and look as if they are simply 2 or 3 single pole breakers with a handle tie. Besides that external handle tie the "common trip" breaker has a "common trip" bar that is run internally between each breaker in the assembly which will trip the other poles if one pole call for a trip.
Yes, the handle ties in both do the same, that is makes all poles open and close "manually" at the same time but not automatically when one of the breakers call for a trip. However, it is that trip bar internal to the common trip breaker that causes all poles to trip.

cbenjamin

Thanks to all for the replies. Charlie's post especially came in handy since, for the last 6 months, I've been telling my company I need a copy of the NEC.

I showed them his reply listing article numbers. The book and CD should be here by week's end.

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.