Communication Breakdowns, Scheduling, Heartburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
How important is communication, really?

How often does extra time devoted to scheduling, communication, and public relations result in a better work environment when the time comes to actually do the work?

I was reading the scrolls, came across this thread, and had a moment of pause.

For the past two weeks, I've been struggling to maintain some order in my workweek, juggling trims and roughs between a custom and the tracts. I'm burning out, and intend to take a vacation as soon as I get caught up.

I guess I just need to vent.

But a part of me wonders if the time spent trying to convey to the custom-home homeowner that they need to complete tile, masonry, carpentry, etc, and get the walls exposed and the floors cleared off for two solid days and I will be a memory.

I have spent hours of my own time compiling lists and coordinating schedules, to see it come tumbling down due to bad luck and lack of communication coming my way.

I could go into more damning details, but there's no point. I have no ill will for the people, they're good people. Do you tell people that you appreciate their eagerness to move in, but their elaborate desires for their dream home combined with piling trades on top of each other only results in everybody hating life and racking up labor? To compound the issue, the home is secluded an hour and a half from town. Once you're there, you're committed to spending the day.

Have you ever seen a high quality, highly eccentric custom built in five months? I believe the dirt work started in April. They want to move in next week. That's what I'm hip deep in, in addition to my normal work. :(

jeff43222

Re: Communication Breakdowns, Scheduling, Heartburn

It's not normal for me. I make things clear upfront, and I don't seem to have the headaches you are describing.

If memory serves, George, you still work for the man. Going independent might be the solution you seek.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

The man is real busy these days. I have authority, but not much. I can dictate my own schedule, and that's about it. I am attempting to be a good employee and retain control of this job, field some of this stuff, streamline it, to minimize the cash lost on the job. I feel like I'm floundering.

Generally, I have observed a general "kick it back to the shop and hope someone else has to fix it" mentality among my peers. I helped rough this house, and the symptoms were there then. I knew this was going to be a high-maintenance scenario.

I figured I could go the extra mile, communicate with the customer & GC, and clear a path for us to work. I feel that I tried really hard, and I have failed.

That's why anarchy is beginning to appeal to me. Let it hit the ground, who cares? It always does anyway. :)

kentirwin

I work in a different environment of electrical work but I have very similiar problems with communications between myself and those I work for. (I still work for "Da Man" :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by georgestolz: How important is communication, really?
In my view, extraordinarily important. It is the key to success in many endeavors. It is also something very few are good at doing, and I do not place myself among them.

Contrary to what many seem to believe, "communication" does not consist in sending an email, or leaving a voice mail, or dropping off a schedule on someone's desk. Rather, communication is the art of getting the other person to understand something that you want them to understand. You can call communication a "success" if, and only if, the other person understands the thing you have set out to try to get them to understand. Success cannot be achieved, therefore, unless you yourself understand what you want to communicate. Communication is not over, until you can confirm to your own satisfaction that success has been achieved.
Originally posted by georgestolz: How often does extra time devoted to scheduling, communication, and public relations result in a better work environment when the time comes to actually do the work?
Every time, without exception. :cool:

electricmanscott

George, unfortunately this is a battle likely lost. In my experience it starts with the GC. The way they run the job is not going to change. Poor coordination and scheduling is a result of them not giving a rats *** or incompetence. Sometime it is legitimate oversight or such but not usually. Either way thats just the way they do business.
You'd think people would understand that if the rooms are filled with stuff you can't get into them to do your work. They figure if you can walk into a room it is fine. What they don't know is that when you are running wires you are usually looking up at the wiring not at all the crap in the room and when the wire gets wrapped around stuff as you are trying to pull it the stuff tends to end up with a hammer through it. You'd also think that they would understand they are paying you to wire not move construction materials.
I like to put a dollar figure on things. That can be an eye opener. I just finished a complete remodel of and old house. I had to clean each room (old fireplace mantles, lumber etc,). Whenever the builder came in I would thank him for the extra money. I'd tell him that the room cost $200.00 for me to rough but he is paying me $350.00 because of the time spent cleaning. This works because the job was t&m.

Status
Not open for further replies.