Communication Cable or CATV cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

lecharbon

The increase use in distributed antenna systems inside customer premise locations contains the usage of both coaxial cable and fiber optic cable, as well as twisted pair. This technology involves a multi tranmission format of voice, data, video et all. It seems the majority of the cables used indoors are rated as CM under Article 800, but... because of the use of antennas and analog RF signals in the portion of the architecture, would coaxial cable be considered CATV or communication cable? It seems to me that Article 810 or 820 would no longer apply and the whole DAS system would be classified as strictly Article 800 equipment and that all the cables should be CM rated e.g. CMP, CMR and be tested under UL-910 and UL-444.

Any opinions on this definition of communication or CATV in relation to an indoor DAS system?

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
Nothing like starting with a tough first question!
Much simpler questions can receive hundreds of posts. There is a lot of overlap in Articles 800, 810 & 820 so it may not be an either or question. I see a wi-fi (or other two-way system) as being under Article 800. But that was the easy part.

north star

$ = $

lecharbon,,

1st, ...welcome to the Mike Holt Forum! :cool:

2nd, ...I don't know squat about RF comm. systems or plain
`ol coaxial cable assemblies, or the DAS systems. :D

3rd, ...whilest you're waiting for a response on here, you
may consider visiting another Forum with Electrical Engineers,
and specifically "Communication & Signal Processing Engineers"
on the
ENG-TIPS. Forum.
See this link: == > http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=236