compact flourescents flicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

lendog

Hey guys so I just put in 10 six inch flourescent can lights and with the swithch off I plugged in my 26 watt light bulbs. Everysingle bulb that I plugged in flickered on for a split second,remmember the switch was off and they still flickered. i checked to see if the lights had power at the junction boxes, and they didnt, Checked all the wiring to the switches and they were all fine, was wondering if you guys might now why they do that. The lights work perfectly fine its just when you plug the bulb in the first time.

macmikeman

Don't know about that, but I do have a test gizmo that will light up any good fluorescent lamp when you put the antenna next to the lamp and push the button. It excites the gas electrons in the tubes with radio waves. Maybe you got something like that going on. I should sell that tester on e-bay since I haven't done a department store in something like 15 years. It came in handy for checking lamp delivery's before they came off the truck.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have no idea if this is true but I am thinking there is some capacitor in the fixture (I am assuming you have cans with a ballast) and it discharges when you put the bulb in. Far fetched but I can think of no other explanation.

bcorbin

Were they emergency ballast type cans? Possibly a small residual charge left on the batteries from factory testing? :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.