Comparing Service rates, Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Mule said:
I agree very much, the diversity of the NEC is very intense, BUT for the resi, or more specifically, branch circuits it would some what comparable, would it not? I just think folks dont want to plumb DIY

I don't think you could even make the comparison between resi plumbing and resi branch circuits. We have AFCI circuits, tamperproof receps, GFI protection, 15amp 20 amp 30 amp, single pole, double pole, 20A SABCs and bath circuits.....

Resi plumbers need only remember four things: Hot, Cold, Waste, Vent.

Mule

480sparky said:
I don't think you could even make the comparison between resi plumbing and resi branch circuits. We have AFCI circuits, tamperproof receps, GFI protection, 15amp 20 amp 30 amp, single pole, double pole, 20A SABCs and bath circuits.....

Resi plumbers need only remember four things: Hot, Cold, Waste, Vent.

Ah the plumbing jokes.....anyone know what three things you must know to be a plumber?

Minuteman

Back when I worked in rural Oklahoma (oxymoron) the plumbing/heat boys got together once or twice a year at a local cafe' to discuss issues such as rates. I asked a few EC's if they would care to meet and they looked at me like a plow horse looking at a tractor.

jmsbrush

Minuteman said:
Back when I worked in rural Oklahoma (oxymoron) the plumbing/heat boys got together once or twice a year at a local cafe' to discuss issues such as rates. I asked a few EC's if they would care to meet and they looked at me like a plow horse looking at a tractor.
I have heard other's say this in the past. It's too bad. I just don't understand the mind set of many EC's. Why they won't share. Like the plumbers do.
We all have seen this here on this site on occasion,

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
emahler said:
i tell you this much, go to a plumbing forum and make a statement like "plumbing is way more technical than electrical" and everyone else would say "yeah, you're right"....

but, here, with electricians? we'll fight each other over it...thank you for proving my point...

:D that's an absolute gem :D

Mule, I'm not sure how long you've been in business, but it didn't take me long to figure out I'd rather be a good business man than a good electrician. Now don't take that as me saying you don't need to be a good electrician. Doing good work is a key to being successful as well, but not as important as knowing how keep the thing afloat.

Last friday, an electrician friend picked me up at the end of the day and asked me to ride around with him. He had to make a stop for a trouble call on a pool pump not working. On the way there, I asked what he was going to charge the customer. He said he didn't know. To keep it short; we got there and the problem was in the pump. Took about 5 minutes to come to this conclusion. I asked again what he was going to charge the customer. He said he wasn't sure because we were only there for a minute. I gave him a number to put on the invoice, my number in fact, and sent him in there with it. He came out with a big smile, but extremely confused that the customer actually paid that for us to be there for 5 minutes.

I'm in business to be in business, if that makes sense. I just happened to have some electrical skill so this is what I do. I really enjoy electrical work, but I wouldn't hesitate to put it down for something more lucrative. I may go further with this line of thought later, but I'm going to stop here and see where the discussion goes.

jmsbrush

brantmacga said:
:D that's an absolute gem :D

Mule, I'm not sure how long you've been in business, but it didn't take me long to figure out I'd rather be a good business man than a good electrician. Now don't take that as me saying you don't need to be a good electrician. Doing good work is a key to being successful as well, but not as important as knowing how keep the thing afloat.

Last friday, an electrician friend picked me up at the end of the day and asked me to ride around with him. He had to make a stop for a trouble call on a pool pump not working. On the way there, I asked what he was going to charge the customer. He said he didn't know. To keep it short; we got there and the problem was in the pump. Took about 5 minutes to come to this conclusion. I asked again what he was going to charge the customer. He said he wasn't sure because we were only there for a minute. I gave him a number to put on the invoice, my number in fact, and sent him in there with it. He came out with a big smile, but extremely confused that the customer actually paid that for us to be there for 5 minutes.

I'm in business to be in business, if that makes sense. I just happened to have some electrical skill so this is what I do. I really enjoy electrical work, but I wouldn't hesitate to put it down for something more lucrative. I may go further with this line of thought later, but I'm going to stop here and see where the discussion goes.
Keep going with it brother. Please.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.

I believe that the average electrician misses the boat, when applying a labor factor of billing to the ticket. By the time a resi service call gets to an electrican, the home owner is exasperated, and can't fix "the problem", and will pay whatever it costs. Side two, the homeowner is a business person, and understands that they don't know the costs, but call "a dependable electric shop with lots of visibility in the community" and accepts the cost. The service electrician only sees it, from his perspective, not realizing the total value of his service.

If cheap is good, would you hire a cheap lawyer to defend you in a court battle? Of curse not! It's about the perception, of the goal, and how to get there.

ivsenroute

In my area a good plumber who shows up and does a good job is a rare one so because of simple supply and demand, the plumbers are getting more money than the electricians. More DIY'rs are willing to do their own electrical work than plumbing due to all of the DIY books not to mention Lowes and Home Destruction.

celtic

ivsenroute said:
More DIY'rs are willing to do their own electrical work than plumbing due to all of the DIY books not to mention Lowes and Home Destruction.

There are plenty of DIY books on plumbing and the folks over at Terry Love's Plumbing Forum will answer any plumbing question asked of them.

I think it boils down to this:
A person w/o electricity, will:
- do w/o
- make do with x-cords, flashlights and candles
- ask a friend, neighbor, etc to bail them out
- buy a DIY book
- etc
All before calling an electrician

On the other hand....
A person w/o a functioning place to meditate will be on the phone to get a plumber almost immediately.

Why?
You can make do w/o electricity, but you can't make do w/o a toilet. :grin:

JES2727

celtic said:
You can make do w/o electricity, but you can't make do w/o a toilet.
In other words, there is perceived to be a greater value attached to plumbing work. That's the answer to the OP's question, IMHO.

Minuteman

celtic said:
You can make do w/o electricity, but you can't make do w/o a toilet. :grin:
Funny though, the "powers that be" here have ordained the electrical service as the stop gap for required completed inspections before CO. If any permit is left open (plumbing, gas, landscape, driveway, etc) then permanent power will not be released and no occupancy. They figure people will move in without gas or water, but not without electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.