Component video and audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

coulter

Off topic -
Question from one of the techs I work with:

How does one run component video and audio long distances (100 feet)? I figured one needed shielded cables, but I would not have a clue as to the spec - I figured it is noise rejection issue.

I promise it isn't my DIY:smile: I got sat boxes with DVR, inexpensive flat screens TVs and coaxes - and they work good enough.

carl

mdshunk

I've been using the RCA type Snap-n-Seal ends on RG6 for that purpose. No problems, no complaints. I will admit that I don't have any way to measure the result, however.

Rampage_Rick

I tried some of those RCA compression fittings and didn't have great results. What I found works for me is normal F-type Snap-N-Seal connector, and an adapter from F to RCA. I've also used the same arrangement for F to BNC and F to N.

Back to the original question: Component video is already shielded, so you'd just be looking for better shielding. If it were my gig I'd use Baluns. Baluns are pretty much the only choice to run audio over any distance, as that's how it's been done for decades in the music industry. (XLR)

I've primarily used stuff from Nitek, but I've heard decent things about MuxLab. You didn't say whether the audio was analog or digital. Muxlab makes a nice balun that does Y/Pb/Pr plus SPDIF over a single CAT-5. It runs about $200 a pair.

7805hdside1big.jpg

L

Lxnxjxhx

long distances (100 feet)?

long distances (100 feet)?

Cable attenuation may be a problem depending on the freqs, so you might need a wideband amp. Which end of the cable the amp goes on affects noise figure.
Cable loss is a function of the freqs and the cable diameter.

nc5p

All copper (and aluminum) cables have roll-off. Video goes from near DC to several MHz depending on the resolution of the system. Using larger cables like RG-6 or even RG-11 will get you farther. 100 ft. should not be unreasonable for good cable. Be sure to use the same type of cable and cut them exactly the same length. Roll-off results in distortion of the video, most commonly softening of the picture. Amplifiers will usually make things worse for baseband unless they are carefully tailored to counter the frequency response of the cable run. If you have access to a video test generator and waveform monitor the multi-burst pattern is a good signal to check for roll-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.