Compressed Air tube in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Can a compressed air tube share a conduit with low voltage wiring (coax cables and low voltage control cables)?

I know 300.8 prohibits this, but I don't think that would apply to the coax cables since they are installed under chapter 8. But I'm not sure about the control cables.

This is for a pneumatic tube system like ones at bank drive-ups.

Steve

paul

Re: Compressed Air tube in conduit

Nope. Some building control guys here got nailed for that about 10 years ago here. Now they don't have to worry about it, since most all their stuff is computer controlled and not pneumatically controlled.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If the other conductors are covered by any Chapter 8 Article or Article 725, there is no code rule that prohibits this installation. Chapter 8 articles are stand alone and the rules in the proceeding 7 chapters do not apply. Per 725.3, 300.8 does not apply to Article 725 installations.
Don

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks for all the replies. Don wins the grand prize. Thanks for setting us straight, Don.

Steve

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Are the conductors mentioned in 300.8 the same as a low voltage cable or coax as mentioned in the original post? As Don had mentioned and IMO they are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.