Compression Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

esox39

Now that UL has changed its requirement for the rain tight classification on Compression Fittings for conduit, what are the options for conduit outdoors? Threaded only? Also, are inspectors still allowing compression because of the limited options available?

pierre

Re: Compression Fittings

I have contacted UL and my understanding of this issue is:
There is a new standard for compression fittings, and to date no manufacturer has complied, although one company has submitted a fitting and it did not pass the standard.
The existing fittings do pass the older standard and the 2002 NEC has recognized them, so until such time, the older fittings can still be installed, and that is why one can still see them being sold as listed.
This is what the UL rep told me.
The NY Board of Fire Underwriters in NY has not passed down a ruling on this issue yet, so I believe they are allowing the installation of Emt in wet locations with the existing type compression fittings.

Pierre

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by pierre:
The existing fittings do pass the older standard and the 2002 NEC has recognized them,
Pierre I am confused by what you mean by this, the NEC requires EMT fittings to be listed.

358.6 Listing Requirements.
EMT, factory elbows, and associated fittings shall be listed.
I have never heard the phrase "NEC has recognized them"

As I understand it If UL has pulled the listing, they are now not listed so they can not be used.

FPE lost the listing on it's breakers, did that mean they could still be installed until the next code cycle? :confused:

Not trying to be a PITA, I am just confused :confused:

Bob

iwire

Staff member

For those that have not seen the statement from UL.

Effective March 2002, manufacturers of UL Listed "raintight" compression type EMT fittings were required to comply with the more stringent follow up test requirements. If the manufacturers of these fittings did not comply with the new requirements, they were no longer authorized to mark their UL Listed fittings with the "Raintight" marking. Currently (April 2003), no manufacturer is authorized to mark their Listed compression type EMT fittings with the "Raintight" marking.
Here is the whole statement from UL

[ August 16, 2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.