compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Exceptions....such as....

For me in no particular order. :smile:

• Don't have any green at all.
  • I have green but it's out in the truck.
  • I don't feel like it.
  • There is no room in the conduit.
  • It was not in the specifications and I don't give much away.

Goroon

What exactly is '3 times the heat'?

What exactly is '3 times the heat'?

2 years ago?? The problem with tinkering and too much crammed in the head:wink:

both at ~67 F start (appx)
After coffee break 20- 25 min ~
Screw to 69 or 70 F
Compression to 73 or 74

Fluke IR Camera from PM Tools.
amps ??? I forget:confused:
We had left it with Pop off jammed open.

More detailed and i would have to get paid to do it again:cool:
And I would have to find that darn compressor too:smile:

480sparky

Screw to 69 or 70 F
Compression to 73 or 74

I guess I wouldn't call a 4?F difference '3 times the heat'.

I'm not particularly well-educated on the laws of thermodynamics, but even if one fitting measured 70?F and the other 210?F, I doubt the comparison '3 times' would be appropriate.

Not busting your chops here, but I'm just trying to come up with a better phrase to quantify the difference. Perhaps "indicated a slightly higher temperature"?

Goroon

No Chops Busted..

No Chops Busted..

" I'm not particularly well-educated on the laws of thermodynamics,.."

Me either, And I don't do reports often.
We did this just for fun...
Never settled for them the question of Scotch Locks verses Crimp lug/bolt for motor terminations. small motors.

nakulak

2 years ago?? The problem with tinkering and too much crammed in the head:wink:

both at ~67 F start (appx)
After coffee break 20- 25 min ~
Screw to 69 or 70 F
Compression to 73 or 74

Fluke IR Camera from PM Tools.
amps ??? I forget:confused:
We had left it with Pop off jammed open.

More detailed and i would have to get paid to do it again:cool:
And I would have to find that darn compressor too:smile:

you failed to indicate the ambient, the heat source, and the pipe temperature on or near the connector. these factors would have probably been significant. for example, all I can determine from the information provided is that the compression connectors conducted heat better, which is possibly because they had better contact with the pipe ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That deflection, or flattening of the conduit, can make for less contact area.
Maybe less area, but definitely greater pressure. I try to drive the screws all the way. The deeper the dimple, the better the pull-out resistance and better conductivity. It's certainly not going to impinge on a properly-filled conduit's area.

480sparky

Compare each rise from the original of 67 deg. SS: + 2-3; comp: + 6-7. That about 3x.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to state. The temp. rise was a factor of three, not three times the heat.

If it's '3 times the heat', then would you not multiply 69?F by three, which means the comp. fitting is 207?F?

Doug S.

That's "schmutz." L'chaim! ;)

Yea, when I read the first critique I saw my error. I just let it be. I say the word sCHmutz, and am of (some) German descent so out of respect of my fore-fathers and mudders I'll schtick wid da schmutz...

Exceptions....such as....

I have no definite exceptions here, but one would be no room, and a new conduit is a major undertaking. I am more easily encouraged to omit "green" when running in RMC.

Now for a hi-jack? =)

Has any one found a particular set screw connector and or coupling with a snugger fit on the EMT? Off the top of my head I prefer OZG steel connectors, and detest most any cast ones.

I don't recall which of the compression conn. I detest, but I have had experience with some that compression ring liked to get fowled up in the threads... It was frustrating. Maybe they were used?

Regards,
Doug S(ch).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Has any one found a particular set screw connector and or coupling with a snugger fit on the EMT? Off the top of my head I prefer OZG steel connectors, and detest most any cast ones.
Snugger than what?

I like the steel fittings much more than the cast ones. I think the ones I've been getting lately are Bridgeport, but I think they're all more alike than different.

Doug S(ch).
:smile:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Smut was derived from shmutz (Yiddish) and/or schmutz (German). Means the same thing.
Perhaps its origin depends on the reference... ;)

Merriam-Webster Collegiate? Dictionary

1smut
Pronunciation: 'smət
Function: verb
Inflected Form: smut?ted ; smut?ting
Etymology: probably alteration of earlier smot to stain, from Middle English smotten; akin to Middle High German smutzen to stain
Date: 1587

transitive verb
1 : to stain or taint with smut
2 : to affect (a crop or plant) with smut
intransitive verb : to become affected by smut

x
2smut
Function: noun
Date: 1664

1 : matter that soils or blackens specifically : a particle of soot
2 : any of various destructive diseases especially of cereal grasses caused by parasitic basidiomycetous fungi (order Ustilaginales) and marked by transformation of plant parts into dark masses of spores also : a fungus causing a smut
3 : obscene language or matter

Status
Not open for further replies.