Condensate Pumps above ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

Ahhh, I knew that wasn't the intent of the code:

Let's read 400.8 again:
"Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following.....blah, blah."

Now let's look at 400.7 specifically #8:

"Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection"

Like I said the equipment being listed for cord connection.

So, I can't find that. Where in 400.7(A)(8) does it show that it is "specifically permitted" to use a cord where it is "located above suspended or dropped ceilings"?

dejeud

So, I can't find that. Where in 400.7(A)(8) does it show that it is "specifically permitted" to use a cord where it is "located above suspended or dropped ceilings"?

Duh, I guess we need to hire a lawyer for that verbiage.

400.8 says unless specifically permitted. It doesn't mean SPECIFICALLY permitted in the ceiling, it means permitted for a specific application as listed in 400.7

iwire

Staff member
Ahhh, I knew that wasn't the intent of the code:

Let's read 400.8 again:
"Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following.....blah, blah."

Now let's look at 400.7 specifically #8:

"Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection"

Like I said the equipment being listed for cord connection.

Like I said it is prohibited .... listed equipment or not. :)

Follow the link http://ecmweb.com/nec/code-basics/electric_cords_fixture_wires/

iwire

Staff member
Duh, I guess we need to hire a lawyer for that verbiage.

400.8 says unless specifically permitted. It doesn't mean SPECIFICALLY permitted in the ceiling, it means permitted for a specific application as listed in 400.7

dejeud, your interpretation is incorrect, if we were to read it your way it would mean 400.8 does not prohibit anything.

cschmid

ok for the sake of the discussion here I am posting a copy of 400.7 and 400.8 copy and pasted from the 2008 handbook on cd..

400.7 Uses Permitted.
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for the following:
(1) Pendants
(2) Wiring of luminaires
(3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mobile signs, or appliances
(4) Elevator cables
(5) Wiring of cranes and hoists
(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange
(7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration
(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection
(9) Connection of moving parts
(10) Where specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code
(B) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted in 400.7(A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8), each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet.
Exception: As permitted in 368.56.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
Exception to (4): Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted to be attached to building surfaces in accordance with the provisions of 368.56(B)
Section 368.56(B) provides the requirements for the installation of flexible cords installed as branches from busways.
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code
The flexible cords and cables referred to in Article 400 are not limited to use with portable equipment. They may not be used, however, as a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure or where concealed behind building walls, floors, or ceilings (including structural, suspended, or dropped-type ceilings). See 240.5, 590.4(B), and 590.4(C) for the uses of multiconductor flexible cords for feeder and branch-circuit installations and for overcurrent protection requirements for flexible cord. See 410.30 for cord-connected luminaires.
(7) Where subject to physical damage

cschmid

Now If I read t400.7 correctly it means I have attached the flexible cord myself and it did not come from the factory with a cord on it..lets say for residential it is the dishwasher you attach the cable to the power box on the dishwasher, or lets say in a commercial application you are connecting a portable conveyor..It does not talk about the pump that comes with a cord attached to it.

400.8 states flexible cords period it does not state whether I installed them or they came from the factory..

Status
Not open for further replies.