Condensation problems / water in fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have a problem I don't know how to fix. Walk-in beer / Keg cooler, 2" of standing water in light fixture that's rated for a wet location, standing water in WP switch as well. I feel like water is entering via condensation only. Any ideas how to stop this? I thought about drilling a few drain holes but that defeats the purpose of a wet location and moisture will eventually corrode everything but at least standing water would drain???. Thank you in advance for any good ideas.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Actually a walk in cooler or freezer is dryer than the Sahara. Condensation is from outside air entering the cold fixture through the conduit or opening for the wiring. DuxSeal is your friend as is spray foam. Seal it up on the outside before it enters the wall or ceiling.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
300.7 addresses sealing raceways to prevent migration of moisture in this kind of installation.

I'd still put in weep holes in select places, sealing will greatly reduce most problems, condensation may still occur just not as rapidly.

norcal

Actually a walk in cooler or freezer is dryer than the Sahara. Condensation is from outside air entering the cold fixture through the conduit or opening for the wiring. DuxSeal is your friend as is spray foam. Seal it up on the outside before it enters the wall or ceiling.

-Hal

Learned that lesson the hard way on some walk in refrigerators.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Until it settled into being matter-of-fact for me, I used to be amazed at how effective of a bellows pump the closing of a walk-in refir door is. The slamming shut of the dolly door, especially, on glass door product-access walk-ins would routinely cause the glass doors to "burp" the air pressure pulse.

Any raceway that penetrates the insulated wall / ceiling will have air inhaling and exhaling through it, unless it is tightly plugged with duct seal.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Al this is correct, but they do make vacuum breaker devices that can stop this effect. Some of the old ones had 2 ping pong balls in them. Kwired correct on weep holes in certain things regardless.
I was specialized in Walkins for some years. Its all about sealing correctly on the original install which is so often the most cut corner hack job in the known universe anymore. To RE DO freezers correctly in temperate zones, they have to be shut down for a few days and dried out. Linset penetrations also have to be done correctly and this is an art which is becoming lost. Moisture moves into the conditioned space through all available pathways.

kwired

Electron manager
Al this is correct, but they do make vacuum breaker devices that can stop this effect. Some of the old ones had 2 ping pong balls in them. Kwired correct on weep holes in certain things regardless.
I was specialized in Walkins for some years. Its all about sealing correctly on the original install which is so often the most cut corner hack job in the known universe anymore. To RE DO freezers correctly in temperate zones, they have to be shut down for a few days and dried out. Linset penetrations also have to be done correctly and this is an art which is becoming lost. Moisture moves into the conditioned space through all available pathways.
Yes, because it is a dry environment inside the cooler (presuming dry storage cooler) that dry air is a "moisture magnet" to any place that can leak it in, as well as anytime doors are opened. Inside raceways, that moisture is drawn in through any penetrations to exterior and once it is in it will eventually condense on raceway walls or within connected enclosures.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Yes, because it is a dry environment inside the cooler (presuming dry storage cooler) that dry air is a "moisture magnet" to any place that can leak it in, as well as anytime doors are opened. Inside raceways, that moisture is drawn in through any penetrations to exterior and once it is in it will eventually condense on raceway walls or within connected enclosures.

Thank you Sir

Status
Not open for further replies.