Condo grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

necbuff

I have inherited a 6 unit condo,each unit seperated by 2 hr fire wall that extends to the roof line. They were running 3-wire feeders from a 6 gang meter center mounted on the building. They have copper waterlines coming from the street to each unit. They were catching the pipes from the remote panels. I put the brakes on the job because I told them they were single family dwellings and the meter center could not be mounted on the building , the feeders could not be run in the attics and the water lines must go to the meter center(suggested setting pedistal and running UG feeders to each unit w/ disc at each and rod) then they could catch that panel. They then produced paperwork saying the outside and attic were common area owned by the HO asso. I accepted the letter(reluctantly)but required 4-feeders of coarse and require the WP ground to be taken to each unit to the 6 gang center. I did tell him he could daisy chain all the waterlines together if he wanted.The EC is raising cain and does'nt think its right. Any thoughts?? Where are u Ryan, I need you brother.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Condo grounding

Are there circuit breakers in the meter center? Why don?t you want the meter center mounted on the building?

necbuff

There are breakers in the meter center. The reason I did'nt want it on the building was most of the time that type of set up is treated as separate structures due to property lines and 2 hr firewalls. You can't put equipment or run feeders on or thru someone elses property. They made the situation fit they're needs by getting me a letter of "common area".I don't have much of a problem there, it's the EC arguing about the grounding cost. All those waterlines must go back to the service equipment. Possible exception: If being treated as multiple occupancy, and they run PVC into each unit, they could come out of the sub-panel to bond the pipes. But I do not think the city will permit non-metallic lines to a structure. Thats the only alternitative I see and thats a stretch because I think they are actually single family's, paint to paint ownership. Not like an apt w/ no ownership.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I would have no problem with a single GEC to the street side of the closest water service tied to all of the service panels at the meter area and a bonding jumper from the EGC at each unit to the water piping in that unit.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I agree with Don.
Connect the closest underground water service, ground rod, ufer, etc to the meter stack.
From the meter stack run 4-wire cables to each units panel.
Bond each units water service to the equipment grounding buss in the panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.