Conductor Ends in Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

spsnyder

We have a job where type USE-2 Cables were cut and left coiled in a trench. It rained and the trench filled with water. Does this ruin the cable? Do we have to cut the cable back to see how far the water travelled? Any advise would be appreciated.

Scott Snyder

charlie

Re: Conductor Ends in Water

If this were MV cable, it would be ruined (or expensive to repair). MV cable has to have night caps installed when left out.

To directly answer your question, I don't know. I would suggest contacting the cable manufacturer.

spsnyder

Thanks for your input. I did ask the Manufacturer and he said that the cable should be replaced if water entered the cable. It would be in his interest to say that I thought so I figured I'd ask others thoughts. Thanks again.

Scott Snyder

iwire

Staff member

I would use the cable, the conductors inside are wet location conductors.

USE cable has the equal of RHW or XHHW.
USE-2 cable has the equal of RHW-2 or XHHW-2.

I see no difference in this and an underground raceway full of water, which is common in this area.

bennie

Esteemed Member

The manufacturer is probably considering the water being heated, by the cable, to a point that could compromise the insulation. There could be legitimate concern.

pierre

I know conductors like THWN, RHW,and XHHW are for wet locations, but are they really designed to be in water? And if so, how long can they really be in water without to much damage as Bennie has mentioned?

Pierre

iwire

Staff member

And if so, how long can they really be in water without to much damage as Bennie has mentioned?
In the area I work it is not unusual for underground conduits to be full of water.

Feeders or branch circuits, they go for years like this.

I believe that is why the NEC considers underground raceways as wet locations.

spsnyder

We're going to cut back the cables and see how far the water traveled up the copper center. I think there's a big difference between the outside of the cable being wet and the ends being in water and water travelling inder the insulation. Don't you think?

Thanks again,

Scott Snyder

charlie

You will be surprised; the interstices will act like capillaries and draw the water all the way through the cable in a short period of time. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.