Conductor sizing/equipment nameplate rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerajam

I was asked to relocate an existing 75 HP air compressor. The nameplate info on the compressor control panel label stated: FLA 96 amps @ 480V 3ph. 3W. I've always sized the conductors feeding a piece of equipment at 125% of the stated FLA. To my surprise the previous installer had fed the compressor with #3 THHN cu, 100 amp rated wire, not the #1 THHN cu which covered the derating factor of 120 amps. Simple question, but I've run into disagreement about what the equipment nameplate includes/ doesn't from manufacturers and inspectors alike. I'd like to get this cleared up if possible.

Snorks

In my opinion;

96 amperes is 96 amperes period. Motor device conductors must be sized as a continious load @ 125% capacity. There is not much more to say about it. The previous installer goofed, you did not.

Did you also take into consideration ambient temperature, distance and voltage drop in your conductor sizing?

iwire

Staff member
If the FLA is taken from a tag off of the combined equipment the 125% should already be factored in.

If the info was taken from the motor itself you would add 125% to the value found in the tables of 430.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Bob. If you were to look at all the componets individually you would see that the 125% is included on the name plate.

Roger

kerajam

This was a single motor piece of equipment with a control panel. When I look up the FLA of a 75 HP motor in table 430-250, I come up with the same amperage, 96, as the manufacturer labeled the equipment> This is the part that I'm finding to be inconsistent.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Is the motor the only load on this compressor, i.e. are there cooling fans or any other loads covered by the name plate?

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In that it's a motor only you are correct that the 25% would need to be added to this figure.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.