conductors in non-UL listed "wireway"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Turax

I fabricate a custom EVSE mounting pedestal. it is made from stock aluminium rectangular tube, with a top cap welded on. it is 2" deep x 8" wide, height is adjustable up to 5 feet above grade with 3' underground in concrete.I installed dozens of these without issue and passed inspection. I run PVC into the bottom of the unit, then just free air THNN inside the pedestal, as the pedestal is sealed on top and bottom and the only penetration is a chase nipple into the back of the EVES unit.last time i installed one the inspector failed me because the pedestal is not a UL approved wire way. I was able to run 3/4" LT through it and use a 90 DEG connector into the back of the EVSE unit. this satisfied the inspector as the THHN was now inside a UL listed raceway. however I am wanting to install one for a 100 amp EVSE. this would require #3 THHN and 1" conduit. a 1" LT 90 DEG fitting is over 2" deep and will not work. Is anyone aware of an conductor that has insulation that will allow it to be installed in a non UL wire way like this? or do i need to get this thing UL listed, probably takes years and thousands of dollars.

tkb

So, you are looking to bypass the code and UL standards.
It looks like you don’t want to get your assembly listed so you can make more money.

JFletcher

For the larger conductors, it would be better to have your pedestal support a chapter 3 raceway on its exterior, or go over a contractor installed raceway. cool idea, however since it is not part of the evse, it will not be listed with that.

Cable types do not have to be in raceways. also, you may fall under the exception for raceways if it is a short piece used for physical protection only.

Good luck

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If your 90 degree connector is concealed 2017 NEC 350.42 won't let you do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.