Conduit Bends

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

When you have a feeder run from one panel to another you are basically starting with (2) 90's correct? One at each panel.

Installing a condulet in the run will reset the max 360 degree bend rule? Does a pull box do the same?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A conduit body in larger size feeder conduit runs usually will not count as a pulling point. I think that we've discussed this before, no?

jumper

When you have a feeder run from one panel to another you are basically starting with (2) 90's correct? One at each panel.

Many times, but not always.

Installing a condulet in the run will reset the max 360 degree bend rule?

Yes.

Does a pull box do the same?

Yes.

3XX.26 Bends ? Number in One Run. There shall not be
more than the equivalent of four quarter bends (360 degrees
total) between pull points, for example, conduit bodies and
boxes.

iwire

Staff member
Why not? I only remember that sometimes you need to upsize to a mogul.

The size and yes a mogul might get you the size you need but you can't (or shoudn't) assume it will.

Personally I think anyone using a 'C' conduit body, mogul or otherwise in a feeder for a pull point is the devil. :rant::rant::rant:

I prefer to use a long narrow wireway over any sort of conduit body for a pull point.

For a 2" conduit I would use a 4"x4"x24" long wireway.

For 4" conduit I use 6"x6"x48" wireway.

mstrlucky74

Many times, but not always.

Yes.

Yes.

Ahhh yes. Between pull points. So essentially if you had a feeder from panel A to panel B and it was 500' with 3 pull boxes you could have (16) 90 degree bends by code. (4) from Panel A to 1st pull box, (4) between 1st pull box and 2nd, (4) between 2nd and 3rd box and (4) between 3rd box and Panel B. I understand this would never be done but I am just trying to highlight a scenario that would be allowed per code.

jumper

The size and yes a mogul might get you the size you need but you can't (or shoudn't) assume it will.

Personally I think anyone using a 'C' conduit body, mogul or otherwise in a feeder for a pull point is the devil. :rant::rant::rant:

I prefer to use a long narrow wireway over any sort of conduit body for a pull point.

For a 2" conduit I would use a 4"x4"x24" long wireway.

For 4" conduit I use 6"x6"x48" wireway.

Agree 100%. I like this from Chris K.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ahhh yes. Between pull points. So essentially if you had a feeder from panel A to panel B and it was 500' with 3 pull boxes you could have (16) 90 degree bends by code. (4) from Panel A to 1st pull box, (4) between 1st pull box and 2nd, (4) between 2nd and 3rd box and (4) between 3rd box and Panel B. I understand this would never be done but I am just trying to highlight a scenario that would be allowed per code.

Yes that's correct. And for the record this is done all of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.