Conduit Fill/Hot tub disconnect question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Hey guys. I just have a quick couple of questions:

1) Under the section for #8 THHN, why is there just dashes going across instead of listing the numbers of #8's you can install in the conduit.

2) The electrical supply is charging $147 for a combo GFCI/Disconnect for a hot tub which seems a little extreme. What do you guys think?

3) What would you guys say the going rate would be to hook up this hot tub. It is just a 50a hot tub that is installed on a deck with a 120v light, not the fiberoptic one. Hot tub located about i would say 100' from panel. I know it's hard to say but just looking for a round about?

Buck Parrish

1) not sure

2) It does seem high, but it includes the required 50 amp gfci breaker. You can use any type of discos. But the 50 amp gfci breaker might be $80 by itself. Generally the box stores sell a disco with the 50 amp gfci breaker for about the same as you can buy the breaker for. (120 volt outlet not included, and not recomended by me)

3) This one is hard as I have found most new hot tub owners freak out when I tell them the price I would charge to wire it. I have found they shop around for the cheapest guy more then on most any thing else.
Probably the tub salesman has told them it would only cost $75 to hook it up.
For what you have described to be competitive around here you would have to be around $700 - $1000.00

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
3) This one is hard as I have found most new hot tub owners freak out when I tell them the price I would charge to wire it. I have found they shop around for the cheapest guy more then on most any thing else.
Probably the tub salesman has told them it would only cost $75 to hook it up.
For what you have described to be competitive around here you would have to be around $700 - $1000.00

Yes, that's what I have figured around. That is funny, I run into the same issues with hot tup estimates. It is absolutely amazing to me that customers have no problem paying an auto mechanic about $70-$100 labor to fix there car and customer is delivering the car as well but when it comes to electric, they don't want to pay. I guess when it comes to electrical, it is most of the time a luxury. I also watched someone pay a plumber $360 to replace that little flexible pipe under the toilet tank that goes to the valve. Simply amazing. Well, I'll hold my sack and hope for the best with this job haha. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.