Conduit Fill vs. LB Fill

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I recently did a conduit fill calculation for three # 4 THHN, and one # 6 THHN and arrived at 0.2979 cubic inch. According to Chapter 9 tables it will fit in 1" EMT. The 1" LB states maximum fill is three # 4 conductors. NEC 314.28 (A)(3) says I can't exceed the fill of the conduit body if marked. Is my only solution to up size the conduit run, or bush down a larger LB.

Thanks,
Trent

2020 Code Cycle

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
An expensive alternative might be found with a Mogul LB which allow a greater fill.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Any time you have conductors 4 AWG and larger, you need to be looking at the markings on the conduit bodies. Most times a standard conduit body of the same trade size as the conduit will not be suitable.

😲

Never really thought of that.

Prolly why it’s always so difficult to get 3x3/0 and a #4 into a 2” LB. I’ve been thinking about just going up to 2 1/2” just for easy of pulling.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I have used gutter and I have bushed LBs most of the time and I don't see anything wrong with either one. As we all know being undersized just gets you in trouble when pulling

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have used gutter and I have bushed LBs most of the time and I don't see anything wrong with either one. As we all know being undersized just gets you in trouble when pulling
While no one ever does it, if the volume of the LB supported by a conduit of a smaller trade size than the LB, exceeds 100 cubic inches, the LB needs independent support.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I've always been fan of using wireway as an LB with #4 and larger conductors. Works great except when you are outside and the application is vertical.