Conduit (IMC/Rigid) routed through door frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccow

Occupation
Engineering (Power Generation & Transmission, Communications, SCADA/Control Systems)
Hello, and thanks in advance for your help and guidance. I have an industrial facility that has several metal door frames which have IMC (and maybe rigid) conduit chasing through the upper frame and into the other room. While I can understand why that choice was made (the doors are installed into 1-foot and 2-foot thick, heavily reinforced concrete with a lot of conduit embeds), I can't help but think that it's not code compliant.

I cannot remember off the top of my head if they're fire doors or not. If they are, I would imagine the fire rating is shot on them now. But what if they aren't fire rated doors? Do I have a code violation here? Can anyone point the way toward what sections this would be in violation of?

Thank you,
ccow

ccow

Occupation
Engineering (Power Generation & Transmission, Communications, SCADA/Control Systems)
rsz_62363093079__16280e5e-341c-4017-93ba-c9906fa03d13-preview.jpg

Here you go- this is pretty typical of all of the locations that have this going on.

Thank you!

ccow

Occupation
As others have said, I see no NEC issue but if this is a fire rated door then it would violate the listing of the door.

Totally agree on the fire rating. Thank you!

synchro

Occupation
EE
There is some information on this webpage about this issue:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
At a minimum fire-stop the conduit run, even though it would still be at least a technical violation of the door integrity.
Is the open space of the door frame filled with insulation/flame-stop material of the kind that fills the door itself?

Or is it "just a door"?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There is some information on this webpage about this issue:

That looks like a really useful introduction to
the topic!
Especially painful is the difference in cost between prior approval and retrospective on-site approval.

ccow

Occupation
At a minimum fire-stop the conduit run, even though it would still be at least a technical violation of the door integrity.
Is the open space of the door frame filled with insulation/flame-stop material of the kind that fills the door itself?

Or is it "just a door"?

Yes, fire stopping would be at a minimum due diligence, if you will. I can't answer to what the material within the frame is, but upon asking one electrician that did some of the work, it doesn't appear that there was anything in the frame when he cut it in. I'm now not so much worried about the other locations that this has been done in the plant, but the door pictured does warrant further investigation. It has a wire-reinforced light in the slab, and the observation window between the two rooms has a fire curtain installed. This surely has to be a fire door. a little more digging on the NFPA 80 side of this install is probably going to uncover some not-so-nice realities.

ccow

Occupation
Thanks, everyone. I'm resting easier that they're highly likely not an NEC issue, but if the door(s) wind up being fire-rated, this will have to be addressed on that side of the compliance issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.