Conduit in Exisiting Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Have an existing gyp wall that's not coming down with an EM receptacle that has to be run in EMT. Isn't it not possible to put a stick of EMT down the wall like that? it is a hung tile ceiling above but I think clearance would be an issue. Usually flex is used.

What are the option in this situation? Could it be done or the GC would have to open the wall? Thanks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
First things first. Why does it have to be run in EMT?

What are the specifics of the wall construction?

FWIW, I fished EMT down a wall that fits your basic description, but it was a non-bearing, non-fire-rated gypsum-over-metal-stud wall with vertical access to top plate... not 10', so had to cut EMT stick into 3 pieces and couple.

mstrlucky74

First things first. Why does it have to be run in EMT?

What are the specifics of the wall construction?

FWIW, I fished EMT down a wall that fits your basic description, but it was a non-bearing, non-fire-rated gypsum-over-metal-stud wall with vertical access to top plate... not 10', so had to cut EMT stick into 3 pieces and couple.

EM ckt for hospital...needs to be EMT. What would the fire rating have to do with or affect it?

Gyp wall with metal studs.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... What would the fire rating have to do with or affect it?
Fire-rated walls are often double-sheeted, and more importantly, the framing and drywall go all the way to the hard deck. To drop straight down through the top plate you would have to put a hole in the deck.

JFletcher

I dont think EMT is allowed to be fished. Iirc, double sheeted drywall for fire code cant have seams that line up, but thats not your problem. GC will have to open the wall.

Cant use MC cable?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I dont think EMT is allowed to be fished. ...
358.30(A) Exception No. 2.

And someone is bound to notice that you can only fish unbroken lengths... I understand the intent, but a quite silly stipulation if you ask me. :happyyes:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
A, hopefully comprehensive answer to your question:

HCF listed MC cable is a code accepted method of accomplishing what you hope. However, there are often State authorities to don't allow it, depending on the application. For example here in Florida we have Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration (AHCA) that inspects all healthcare facilities. In inpatient hospitals, they don't allow MC. So, in this case, opening the wall is your only choice.

Also in many cases the specifications call for conduit only. In this case, it would be up to the GC (as long as you covered yourself regarding cutting patching and painting) to try an convince the Specifier, or customer to allow a variance for the use of HCF listed MC in this case, to open up the wall.

Lastly regarding fire rated walls. UL listed wall assemblies for 1 hour or more rating, require boxes to be physically secured to the framing. I.E. no cut in boxes. There are ways to accomplish this, but the easiest way is to open up the wall where the box goes. This is something to pay attention to in all types of construction, because it is not specific to healthcare.

mstrlucky74

A, hopefully comprehensive answer to your question:

HCF listed MC cable is a code accepted method of accomplishing what you hope. However, there are often State authorities to don't allow it, depending on the application. For example here in Florida we have Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration (AHCA) that inspects all healthcare facilities. In inpatient hospitals, they don't allow MC. So, in this case, opening the wall is your only choice.

Also in many cases the specifications call for conduit only. In this case, it would be up to the GC (as long as you covered yourself regarding cutting patching and painting) to try an convince the Specifier, or customer to allow a variance for the use of HCF listed MC in this case, to open up the wall.

Lastly regarding fire rated walls. UL listed wall assemblies for 1 hour or more rating, require boxes to be physically secured to the framing. I.E. no cut in boxes. There are ways to accomplish this, but the easiest way is to open up the wall where the box goes. This is something to pay attention to in all types of construction, because it is not specific to healthcare.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.