Conduit in exterior retaining / landscape walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttjangu

We are about to start a job doing some line voltage in some exterior landscape CMU walls (stucco faced) and I am debating if this is a wet , dry , or damp location. The homeowner wants flush receptacles to the finish walls so we are going to run conduit stubs up before the landscape block masonry guys set their wall and footings. What I keep questioning is if a weatherproof box is required even if the box will be encased in mortar in the wall. Anyone have an opinion on this? Of course we will be using weatherproof covers but I cannot see how to get the flush detail correct with a full weatherproof enclosure. Corrosion of the aluminum would also be a concern if we had to go with a weatheproof box. 4 square deeps with mud rings or masonry boxes would sure make life easier.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We are about to start a job doing some line voltage in some exterior landscape CMU walls (stucco faced) and I am debating if this is a wet , dry , or damp location. The homeowner wants flush receptacles to the finish walls so we are going to run conduit stubs up before the landscape block masonry guys set their wall and footings. What I keep questioning is if a weatherproof box is required even if the box will be encased in mortar in the wall. Anyone have an opinion on this? Of course we will be using weatherproof covers but I cannot see how to get the flush detail correct with a full weatherproof enclosure. Corrosion of the aluminum would also be a concern if we had to go with a weatheproof box. 4 square deeps with mud rings or masonry boxes would sure make life easier.

The inside of the conduit is a wet location. THWN pulled in PVC is compliant. 4 square steel boxes embedded in the block with mudrings is also compliant. For receptacles, you will need weatherproof covers. This is how I do these jobs. Never had a problem with passing inspection.

Cut a one gang slot in the block over one of the cores for the mudring. You're going to position the entire box inside the core of the block. A 2x4 cut into a wedge set behind the box will hold it in position. You are going to have to be present with the block masons as they build the wall so you can get your equipment installed. (That's why they call this "mason chasin'".)

Last edited:

KnightPower

Why not Arlington In-boxes?.. I believe they are best thing since before LEDs blew up the scene

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

ttjangu

Thanks you guys. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Arlington box is a great idea but since it will be stuccoed on top of the block, mud rings are going to work better.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
They make an Arlington in-box for stucco, but maybe it still sets out to far. They might have a low profile one though, I think.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We've used masonry boxes as well as 4 sq deeps with 1.5" mud rings to flush out with CMU block. I like the 4 sq deep/mud ring combo better because there was more room to get conduits in and out of the boxes.

I'm not sure how much deeper the mud ring would need to be for a stucco finish on the face of the block though?

Status
Not open for further replies.