Conduit in slab installed in wrong location...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMBSD

Occupation
GC & C10
Looking for some solutions. During a rushed conduit install I took an incorrect reference point measurement for the slab encased conduit. Only after the pour did I realize I was 18" away from my correct location (see picture).

The conduit was placed just below rebar in a 5" slab. First solution is to cut in a new trench just above rebar, but I'm trying to avoid that by tapping into the stub and cutting the 18" where I need to be.

Problem with that is I don't have much room to work with since the 90 deg elbow starts just an inch or two below the slab surface (see cross section photo)

Any chance I could flush mount a slab box and continue the run over to where I need it? It wouldn't be a junction since no splices would be used, but not sure if the inspector would raise an eye to that though.

Any thoughts?

PXL-20230101-040840727-2.jpg

Screenshot-20221231-201712.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Suck it up and saw cut the slab, make another stub up, cut and remove the existing conduit and couple the new stub up to it. Patch.

Concrete is going to be covered anyway, right?

-Hal
+2. Deck pipes get screwed up all of the time. Cut, chop, patch. Sometimes you do what you have to. Ugly but gets the job done.

Deck Pipe1.jpg

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
+3. Get your hammer and chisel out. Wear safety glasses.
PSA on safety glasses...I'm getting older...don't like bi-focal glasses...my regular glasses are good for distance. I can read without glasses. Close up work, I typically use drug store readers. I do have bi-focal safety glasses. Well, I'm cutting some steel and I didn't have anything on and a speck went into my eye. Flushed my eyes out and it irritated for a couple days and went away. As it happened, I already had an appointment with the eye doctor the next week to get a new eye glasses prescription. I go in and he says, yep, there is some metal in you eye and it must have iron it in because it's already starter to rust. So, in addition to him taking that out, they have to *polish* the area wth some high speed thing to remove the rust. Wear safety glasses.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Looking for some solutions. During a rushed conduit install I took an incorrect reference point measurement for the slab encased conduit. Only after the pour did I realize I was 18" away from my correct location (see picture).

The conduit was placed just below rebar in a 5" slab. First solution is to cut in a new trench just above rebar, but I'm trying to avoid that by tapping into the stub and cutting the 18" where I need to be.

Problem with that is I don't have much room to work with since the 90 deg elbow starts just an inch or two below the slab surface (see cross section photo)

Any chance I could flush mount a slab box and continue the run over to where I need it? It wouldn't be a junction since no splices would be used, but not sure if the inspector would raise an eye to that though.

Any thoughts?

PXL-20230101-040840727-2.jpg

Screenshot-20221231-201712.png
Since you were thinking a slab box.
Is this for an island cabinet?
If so will the island cabinet cover the pipes location as it is?
If not yes move.
If yes then bring it up into the cabinet.

If this slab is post tension be careful where you cut if you have to move.

Since the concrete is green it's a easy move. Quicky saw, roto hammer, few 80 lb bags and sleep well.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
PSA on safety glasses...I'm getting older...don't like bi-focal glasses...my regular glasses are good for distance. I can read without glasses. Close up work, I typically use drug store readers. I do have bi-focal safety glasses. Well, I'm cutting some steel and I didn't have anything on and a speck went into my eye. Flushed my eyes out and it irritated for a couple days and went away. As it happened, I already had an appointment with the eye doctor the next week to get a new eye glasses prescription. I go in and he says, yep, there is some metal in you eye and it must have iron it in because it's already starter to rust. So, in addition to him taking that out, they have to *polish* the area wth some high speed thing to remove the rust. Wear safety glasses.
I hate bifocal safety glasses, they always seem to make me bend my neck in an awkward angle.

There is one company that makes a full lens magnifying safety glass, available from 1.25 up to 3.00. They are very clear and work great. I get them at my local welding supply, but they are available on the web. Search for:

"Mag-Safe Full Magnifying Safety Glasses"​

And they are cheap, too. Usually less then $20. There might be others, but I have bought a number of types and never found a full lens magnifier. They actually are more clear than my regular reading glasses.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I hate bifocal safety glasses, they always seem to make me bend my neck in an awkward angle.

There is one company that makes a full lens magnifying safety glass, available from 1.25 up to 3.00. They are very clear and work great. I get them at my local welding supply, but they are available on the web. Search for:

"Mag-Safe Full Magnifying Safety Glasses"​

And they are cheap, too. Usually less then $20. There might be others, but I have bought a number of types and never found a full lens magnifier. They actually are more clear than my regular reading glasses.
I get and use the "clip-on" magnifying lens it gives me equivalent of a bifocal on the top. Especially useful for overhead work. (nearsighted with bifocal)

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
Had to have my first MRI about 10 years ago. When filling out the form there's a question as to whether or not you've ever had metal in your eyes. Since I have been cutting and welding metal since grade 7 shop class, I didn't take any chances and answered yes.

This of course annoyed the MRI tech who said since I answered yes, I would have to have my eyes x-rayed for metal first. She tried to talk me in to changing my answer, but I refused to budge. This of course was going to throw off their schedule.

Turns out I was clear of metal, but I wasn't getting into that machine without knowing first.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Had to have my first MRI about 10 years ago. When filling out the form there's a question as to whether or not you've ever had metal in your eyes. Since I have been cutting and welding metal since grade 7 shop class, I didn't take any chances and answered yes.

This of course annoyed the MRI tech who said since I answered yes, I would have to have my eyes x-rayed for metal first. She tried to talk me in to changing my answer, but I refused to budge. This of course was going to throw off their schedule.

Turns out I was clear of metal, but I wasn't getting into that machine without knowing first.
Oh yea, forgot about that. Needed an MRI on my shoulder not long after. Had to wait for those same x-rays. Then the doc told me to never check metal in eyes box again for this incident as I've been checked or they'd check again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.