conduit installed in slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcfoolinca

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi all. I have run into a design/installation issue with an electrical inspector. In a nutshell, a branch circuit conduit is embedded in the concrete floor on the ground level of a two story building. Electrical contractor called for an inspection prior to covering the conduit with concrete and the inspector red tagged it citing section 300.5/table 300.5. When I called the inspector to discuss, Inspector said per his interpretation, the code doesn't allow such a scenario and wants to installed the conduit in the ground under the slab. I've told the inspector that section 300.5 is only applicable for conduits buried underground and our scenario isn't it at all. He remains adamant. Just want to get the group's thought if you have ever run into this situation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inspector is incorrect. T300.5 is for conduits buried in the ground not embedded in concrete. In the concrete it only needs to below the surface.

Malywr

The inspector is incorrect. T300.5 is for conduits buried in the ground not embedded in concrete. In the concrete it only needs to below the surface.

Question so if it is in concrete under building conditions needs to be just deep enough to be covered like 0.5”? I taught conduit should be in ground 6” below top of concrete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Table 300.5 clearly shows the required depth to be zero under a building ...flush with the top of the slab would be code compliant.

rcfoolinca

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thank you all, just as I thought. However, I do have a hard time telling this inspector that the NEC doesn't govern conduits embedded in concrete. His "interpretation" is that the conduits HAVE to be underslab. Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.