Conduit Mounted To Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I don't think I could comfortably use minerallac straps on a fence kwired. I don't think they'd be very child proof with the bolt and threads sticking out. I'd think anything that rubbed across it would get scraped, hair caught in it, etc.

I'd probably end up screwing to the slats like Larry said, that's if I couldn't talk them into going underground with it.:)

wawireguy

I don't think I could comfortably use minerallac straps on a fence kwired. I don't think they'd be very child proof with the bolt and threads sticking out. I'd think anything that rubbed across it would get scraped, hair caught in it, etc.

I'd probably end up screwing to the slats like Larry said, that's if I couldn't talk them into going underground with it.:)

If the customer wants it and you've decided it's NEC compliant it's up to him to keep his kids off it. I'd mention it but you can't save people from themselves. Bleeding makes kids tough :D

kwired

Electron manager

with the bolt head on the (more) exposed side there is not much more to catch then there is with a one hole strap. placing straps close to vertical members of the fence (posts) will provide additional protection.

As mentioned you don't really want to rub against the fence anyway, you will get more splinters from that than any trouble you would have from a clamp on a piece of tubing.

kwired

Electron manager
I would not want to run a raceway on a fence unless is supplies outlets or equipment mounted on the fence.

If you are feeding one building from another and in 10 years the fence is no longer in good condition or owner is just tired of it, kids grew up, or they got rid of the dog, and they no longer want the fence, the raceway will have to be moved or replaced.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If you are feeding one building from another and in 10 years the fence is no longer in good condition or owner is just tired of it, kids grew up, or they got rid of the dog, and they no longer want the fence, the raceway will have to be moved or replaced.
So?:confused:

Do you run branch circuits horizontal across a wall space, or only vertically up and down to/from the attic? What if in 10 years they want that wall opened up, won't the circuit need to be moved or replaced?

mivey

Do you run branch circuits horizontal across a wall space, or only vertically up and down to/from the attic? What if in 10 years they want that wall opened up, won't the circuit need to be moved or replaced?
Ditto. Folks would rather take the cheaper route today as they are not planning for 10 years down the road and see no value in the extra expense.

kwired

Electron manager

Actually I do prefer to run vertical as much as possible - makes changes later on easier to do in a wall that is not getting opened up, it also used to allow insulators to do a better job but anymore with either blow in or spray on insulation systems it does not matter much.

Status
Not open for further replies.