Conduit on outside of building

Status
Not open for further replies.

forman400b

Occupation
Master Electrician. NYC, Westchester, New Jersey

jeremysterling

When you say sticks you mean the conduits? THey would fit in the bucket?

Stick has multiple slang meanings in the construction trade. You are right in that stick can mean conduit. Like when we say, "Run out to the lay-down yard and fetch me four sticks of two inch PVC."

"Stick" has an alternate meaning when applied to working aloft or rigging. Stick refers to the length of the boom on a man-lift or crowd sections of cranes or lift trucks (PIT). We will say, "Our bucket truck has plenty enough "stick" to relamp all the pole lights in this parking lot."

Or, "The AC contractor could not set the roof top unit because his sky-track ran out of stick."

Scaffolding. Thanks.

Why are you so quick to dismiss swing stage. Seems like a good application for multiple conduit runs.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
May I ask a silly question?

How do they wash the windows?

A building that size almost certainly already has provisions for mobile scaffolding. Maybe you can work off that.

well, i'm guessing that it is not an office building... not often they let you run
a rack up the outside of one of those... looks sub attractive... so i'm guessing
it's a high bay somewhere.....

i've done high bay on a zoom boom with 100' of stick.... once you get the
racking set, i set a block and tackle at the top, and pull the stuff up a stick
at a time... if it's ridgid conduit, i make a coupling with a swivel on it, spin it
on the pipe, and haul it up, then spin the pipe up tight, strap it, and take the
coupling off, and repeat... it sounds slow, but trying to put pipe in the bucket,
you can't put much in, and you spend all your time going up and down...
when i was doing this, it was (8) 4" GRC, up the side of a coker in a refinery.

tried it both ways. block and tackle worked better, and went faster.

and as someone said, it takes a special person. i like high work, personally.
people normally don't want to do it, so if you do, they are happy, give you
whatever you need to do it, and leave you alone to do it, and are just happy
to have it done.

i've done bosuns chairs, once. no choice... pipe run under a pier, 50' above
the water. not fun. doing it up the side of a building? i'd love to help, but
i'm busy that week... sorry.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're brave you can ride in one of these. I had to run a conduit up a 125' shaft. Fortunately it was an internal shaft so there is no wind to blow you around. :)

IMG_1800.JPG

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Stick has multiple slang meanings in the construction trade. You are right in that stick can mean conduit. Like when we say, "Run out to the lay-down yard and fetch me four sticks of two inch PVC."

"Stick" has an alternate meaning when applied to working aloft or rigging. Stick refers to the length of the boom on a man-lift or crowd sections of cranes or lift trucks (PIT). We will say, "Our bucket truck has plenty enough "stick" to relamp all the pole lights in this parking lot."

Or, "The AC contractor could not set the roof top unit because his sky-track ran out of stick."

Why are you so quick to dismiss swing stage. Seems like a good application for multiple conduit runs.

Sorry Jeremy I thought that was scaffolding at a quick glance(duh). So is that what they call that...swing stage? Is there any other name for it? Electricians have used that before? Must be a long setup time. THanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
lol..thanks. Ok might be a dumb question but I assume the conduits get placed right in there along with you?

Yup, along with all the hardware etc. Hard part is drilling, the basket tends to swing out when you press the drill to the wall. :roll:

Ahhhh c'mon, I worked in a bosun's chair in the Empire State building from 44th floor to the 80th. It was kind of strange in that the void below and above was just blackness. Being tied off gives you confidence though.

jeremysterling

Sorry Jeremy I thought that was scaffolding at a quick glance(duh). So is that what they call that...swing stage? Is there any other name for it? Electricians have used that before? Must be a long setup time. THanks

Yes, I rode a swing stage for the first seven floors to install some fancy architectural lighting (linear orange accent light). Others in the crew installed some HID uplighting on the exterior of the 36th floor from swing stage.

The swing stage was mainly used by the masons and glaziers. We borrowed them when we could which meant Saturday the time I was on it.

Once the building topped out the swing stages were installed all the way around the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.