Conduit Rack Support

WyeNot

Occupation
Electrician
Hey guys,

Got a question about a rack support, was hoping someone could point me to a section in the code book. I've always been taught to hang racks off of Purlins or sub purlins when it comes to wood framed buildings. One of the contractors on the job were on is building a rack off of the 2x6 beams that are roughly 18-24" apart. Is that legal, it seems when you put a sammy into a beam that small that it wouldn't have all much support. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Look at the load rating of the faster if installed per instructions.
You would also need to be sure what the load rating of the 2x6 beam ( joist/ truss?) as as well.

You may need to span the beam and hang down.

WyeNot

Occupation
Electrician
Gotcha, will look into it. Here's how its installed currently, just seems not enough support.
Look at the load rating of the faster if installed per instructions.
You would also need to be sure what the load rating of the 2x6 beam ( joist/ truss?) as as well.

You may need to span the beam and hang down.
Gotcha, will look into it, heres how they have it supported currently. Two 2" EMT.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see an issue if the structure above is rated to hang from. Two 2" EMT's even with conductors isn't much weight.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Its also along the rafter which doesnt put much on it compared to being out in the center. There is a frame rating of the building in the spec which allows extra weight to the structure, it will be in building plans. I increased the frame strength a bit in mine for hanging equipment.