Conduit run on floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
It proves no such thing.

The NEC is not there to prevent installations that offend people. It is there to prevent electrical hazards[/B] and assuming that all other code sections are satisfied there is no electrical hazard in running conduits across a floor.

In fact you find it done quite often around machinery.

...if your going to quote 90.1(A), do not reword it

kwired

Electron manager
It proves no such thing.

The NEC is not there to prevent installations that offend people. It is there to prevent electrical hazards and assuming that all other code sections are satisfied there is no electrical hazard in running conduits across a floor.

...if your going to quote 90.1(A), do not reword it

(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity.

Sure looks more like his opinion to me and not an attempt to quote it. His statement and 90.1(A) only have the words 'is', 'and', and 'hazards' in common.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
...your right, he did not 'quote' that section. My point was to say that a hazard can be created by the installation of conduit that is not really an 'electrical' hazard.

kwired

Electron manager
...your right, he did not 'quote' that section. My point was to say that a hazard can be created by the installation of conduit that is not really an 'electrical' hazard.

Unless 110.26 comes into play, or if subjected to physical damage, I don't see any NEC issues, there could be other safety violations for workplace safety, public safety, etc.

Good day all,

I have a location where conduit has been run across the floor in a electrical room. Can someone direct me to the code where this is allowed or not?

Just doesn't seem right. This is in a jail facilities electrical room.

It would be an OSHA violation of smooth and even surfaces for travel and egress, unless marked and guarded as specified in OSHA' It's a tripping hazard.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
It certainly CAN be an electrical hazard when it is the required clearance space where panel access is required.

I agree, even thou no panel is shown in the picture. Conduit should not be installed like that.

Last edited:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
It proves no such thing.

The NEC is not there to prevent installations that offend people. It is there to prevent electrical hazards and assuming that all other code sections are satisfied there is no electrical hazard in running conduits across a floor.

...I guess they get what they pay for!

Status
Not open for further replies.