Conduit Support accrross 30 feet street

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

Stainless steel hose clamps would hold it nicely to that pipe. No pentrations, easy install, easy servicing if ever necessary.

The only problem is that it makes the job look like it was done by the wrong type of mechanic.

It's probably a large pipe to be self supporting. You can just use all thread and uni-strut and straps and make the mounting look like every thing else in an industrial plant.

I would use enough strut just in case someone need to run another conduit in the future ( allways happens).

eHunter

Too many unknown elements to this install to make a concrete recommendation.
Attaching the conduit to the pipe is a solution if the pipe does not operate at temperature extremes that could be transmitted to the conduit causing issues/damage or transporting material that is potentially damaging to the conduit or conductors in the event of a pipe leak.
There may also be regulations that prohibits process piping from being used as a support member or attaching anything to overhead process piping.

Why not bore under the roadway and avoid all of the pitfalls of routing overhead including wind/weather and traffic/vehicle damage?

Last edited:
The only problem is that it makes the job look like it was done by the wrong type of mechanic.

It's probably a large pipe to be self supporting. You can just use all thread and uni-strut and straps and make the mounting look like every thing else in an industrial plant.

I would use enough strut just in case someone need to run another conduit in the future ( allways happens).

...all threads attached to where? There is a 30' span without any overhead attachment points.

hurk27

...and every place where the SS hose clamp attaches to the mild-steel pipe, the pipe becomes the sacrificial anode and corrode.

Stainless Steel and steel or iron pipe are both iron based metals, as such there should not be any galvanic action.

...all threads attached to where? There is a 30' span without any overhead attachment points.

See post 14.

Maybe the all-thread goes up - from the ground? :angel:
see above.

For a 12/2/with ground cable in 3/4" conduit I think back to back one hole pipe clamps is the way to go to the existing pipe already run, if this existing pipe is a electrical conduit then take a look at 300.11(B)(1)

Stainless Steel and steel or iron pipe are both iron based metals, as such there should not be any galvanic action.

You just plain wrong here. Can you explain the difference between electrical or marine grade aluminum and plain aluminum? One easily corrodes the other not so much?

For a 12/2/with ground cable in 3/4" conduit I think back to back one hole pipe clamps is the way to go to the existing pipe already run, if this existing pipe is a electrical conduit then take a look at 300.11(B)(1)

What existing pipe? This has crept in through the posts, but has nothing to do with the OP.

The self-supporting pipe the OP said will be there.

I see the addition. However it is unclear if it can support, either mechanically or legaly anything else but itself.

In the Chemical indutry, it is a definite no-no. Electrical material and installation must be supported off of independent, structural support. When supported off of vessels the designated attachments must be part of the original vessel design, for the purpose.

growler

I see the addition. However it is unclear if it can support, either mechanically or legaly anything else but itself.

In the Chemical indutry, it is a definite no-no. Electrical material and installation must be supported off of independent, structural support. When supported off of vessels the designated attachments must be part of the original vessel design, for the purpose.

Someone already informed the OP that he would need the permission of the mechanical engineer to be allowed to support his conduit from their pipe. If allowed it will be part of the original design.

I seriously doubt that he will be able to get permission to do so. From the very start most of the electricians want to bore underground and skip this whole mess but that was not the question posed by the OP.

growler

You can just use all thread and uni-strut and straps and make the mounting look like every thing else in an industrial plant.

You use allthread and unistrut to make a large pipe clamp. The allthread is bent into a large U-bolt and fitted through the holes in the unistrut. The same way as a clamp is made for a round column.

If this pipe is mild steel and you were to get permission then you could just have the fitters weld some angle iron or strut to the pipe to use for mounting.

mivey

You use allthread and unistrut to make a large pipe clamp. The allthread is bent into a large U-bolt and fitted through the holes in the unistrut. The same way as a clamp is made for a round column.

If this pipe is mild steel and you were to get permission then you could just have the fitters weld some angle iron or strut to the pipe to use for mounting.
Be careful...you are probably dangerously close to getting one of these:
How about staying within reason.......:slaphead:
:D

hurk27

You just plain wrong here. Can you explain the difference between electrical or marine grade aluminum and plain aluminum? One easily corrodes the other not so much?

Yep about -0.20v which is tolerable in most environments

Guess I stand corrected after doing some reading on the subject, I was always told that as long as the base metals were the same it would not cause galvanic action but after reading up on it I find that the alloys play a big part, with 316 SS or 18% chromium type corrosion-resistant steels you have a -0.50 volt index, and with Hot-dip-zinc plate; galvanized steel you have -1.20 or a difference index of -.70v which would be very bad in a moist environment such as outdoors since a difference of -0.15 is the acceptable limit unless you electrically isolate the two dissimilar metals.

Guess I learned something new:p

It's is strange that at work we have many hundreds of places where SS conduit is in direct contact with steel u-bolts and angle iron that are used as support through out the plant that have been in place for years and shows no signs of any corrosion between the two metals? of course moisture plays a big part as well as the conductivity of the moisture such as salt water but these points are outside and in high moisture environments which was the reason the SS conduit was used in the first place.

Guess I need to be part chemist too:happyno:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The most common solution I see is to use ACSR quad the change over to a "conventional" wiring method at each end..
Works for untold number of utility installs. Why reinvent the wheel :)

Absolutely.

30 feet of messenger supported AL is a walk in the park. A one person job. All the other suggestions are projects, not just simple jobs.

I strung nearly 30 feet of it from my house to my garage. Making up the connections took longer than getting the cable in the air. Most people don't realize how light the stuff is.

Status
Not open for further replies.