CONFINED SPACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammyf7

OK, This sounds fishy to me but has anyone heard of an OSHA reg that states: If the setup (tripod,etc) takes longer than the actual task, then you don't need to do it. (Probably not in those exact words - but I can't find anything remotely like that.

Thanks!

John120/240

That sounds bogus. The one time that you didn't set up the tripod would be when Murphy's

Law would strike. Whatever can go wrong will do so at the worst possible time. Or similar

words.

iwire

Staff member
OK, This sounds fishy to me but has anyone heard of an OSHA reg that states: If the setup (tripod,etc) takes longer than the actual task, then you don't need to do it. (Probably not in those exact words - but I can't find anything remotely like that.

Thanks!

No, never.

I think someone is pulling your leg. Setting up for OSHA compliance quite often takes longer than the task.

wtucker

I can't find anything remotely like that.

And you won't. OSHA doesn't care how long it takes to comply, or how much it costs.

And, look at it this way: the tripod isn't there just to save your life, it's to save the life of your partner, who'll probably climb into the manhole to save you, and die trying. The tripod is there so he can pull you out without going in himself.

Rick Christopherson

And you won't. OSHA doesn't care how long it takes to comply, or how much it costs.

And, look at it this way: the tripod isn't there just to save your life, it's to save the life of your partner, who'll probably climb into the manhole to save you, and die trying. The tripod is there so he can pull you out without going in himself.
Spot-on. I think the OP's employer/supervisor is trying to reduce cost through deception. :thumbsdown:

I don't hold it any more, but I used to be fully HAZMAT certified, including the full confined-space training. Yes, that even included wearing the funny blue space suits that you would expect to see on TV or Dustin Hoffman wearing in "Outbreak".

There is no such thing as cutting corners on confined space entry. As a matter of fact, I recall that this comment was specifically pointed out as what not to do!!

Back when I was still certified, I used to do confined space entries at least twice a month. And it was not the nice electrical vaults that are propbably discussed here. It was the nasty places where we fully expected our trilevel meter to go off fairly regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.