Confuse regarding 225.35,230.72(C) and 240.24(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

codequestion

Banned
I need help in your interpretation. I have a multi occupancy building, single story with suite 200, suite 300 and suite 100 in which one service from underground electric utility comes into Panel A in electrical room inside building. The Panel A does not have any meter, disconnect to individual suites instead all the circuit breaker go from Panel A to suite 200 receptacle and light and suite 300 receptacle and light. Their is subpanel fed from Panel A which in electrical room which feeds mechanical equipment and then some Suite 300 loads. Their is transformer XFMR-B fed from Panel A and secondary of the transformer feeds Panel L2 all in electrical room which then feeds Suite 100, 200 and 300 loads. I am very confused as to which NEC section does this violate and can be enforced NEC 225.35, 230.72(C), 240.24(B) or some other NEC Article?

kwired

Electron manager
I kind of got lost some in your description, but if the source is from the utility then it is service supplied and art 230 applies to what I believe you are trying to ask about.

That panel A might be acceptable if it has no more then six disconnecting means in it and it's listing allows it to be used in that manner.

codequestion

Banned
sorry some clarification to what I was saying is I have electric utility coming underground into 480/277V Panel A in electric Room in multi occupancy building.

-Panel A has main circuit breaker and then 42 pole/circuits which are feeder circuit breakers. Those feeder circuit breakers feed the following from Panel A:
1. Suite 200 loads (circuits #1 to circuits #20)
2. Suite 300 loads (circuits #20 to circuits#30)
3. XFMR-B (480/277 primary to 208/120V secondary)
3 Sub Panel A

-Sub Panel A then feeds mechnical load which supply all three suites and some suite 300 loads.

-XFMR B in the electric room secondary feeds Panel L2.

-Panel L2 has main circuit breaker and again 42 circuits which feeds suites 100, 200 and 300 loads.

Their is no meters or no individual disconnect to individual occupant/tenants suite 100 to suite 300.

kwired

Electron manager
sorry some clarification to what I was saying is I have electric utility coming underground into 480/277V Panel A in electric Room in multi occupancy building.

-Panel A has main circuit breaker and then 42 pole/circuits which are feeder circuit breakers. Those feeder circuit breakers feed the following from Panel A:
1. Suite 200 loads (circuits #1 to circuits #20)
2. Suite 300 loads (circuits #20 to circuits#30)
3. XFMR-B (480/277 primary to 208/120V secondary)
3 Sub Panel A

-Sub Panel A then feeds mechnical load which supply all three suites and some suite 300 loads.

-XFMR B in the electric room secondary feeds Panel L2.

-Panel L2 has main circuit breaker and again 42 circuits which feeds suites 100, 200 and 300 loads.

Their is no meters or no individual disconnect to individual occupant/tenants suite 100 to suite 300.
Metering is not a NEC requirement, NEC just has rules that apply to metering when it is there.

Apparently all three occupant's energy is billed on one bill to an owner. How that energy may be sold to or reimbursed by the tenants may be subject to other laws but has no direct connection with NEC compliance.

You possibly could run into issues with tenants having access to overcurrent devices and service disconnecting means as potential NEC issues.

codequestion

Banned
Their is no service disconnecting means for individual tenants just Panel A, sub panel A and Panel L2 main circuit breakers. Also which of the NEC Article would run into issue?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Their is no service disconnecting means for individual tenants just Panel A, sub panel A and Panel L2 main circuit breakers. Also which of the NEC Article would run into issue?
Single disconnecting means for the entire building is acceptable. Larger multi-tenant buildings (as in anytime there would be more then six grouped together) often do have a single service disconnect ahead of meter centers and individual feeder breakers associated with each meter.

240.24(B) that you mentioned does address tenant access to their overcurrent devices. They don't always have to be readily accessible to the tenant - depending on how access might be managed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There may be a meter out at the utility transformer. It also sounds like the main disconnect is Panel 2 since it feeds Panels A and B. I am sure there is a meter somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.