confused by temporary wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

I am confused by the requirements of NEC 590. Temporary wiring is allowed for construction and holiday lighting. Is there a time limit on other temporary wiring, such as a large tent for a wedding or an art fair? Are such installs covered by NEC 590? Recently businesses (mostly restaurants) have constructed membrane structures, typically an open-sided covering to help space people do to health concerns surrounding coronavirus. These membrane structures are plainly not for construction or holiday lighting and are intended to be temporary. So I guess I am asking this: Does NEC 590 apply to other installs besides construction and holiday lighting and if so is there a time limit?

IMHO (and I am not the AHJ)-
590 would cover these structures; it's not just for construction.
The 90 day limit seems only apply to "holiday lighting...."

Given that these structures are intended by their manufactures to be temporary and movable, I think that one could use 590 with them for more than 90 days, but also wouldn't use some of the allowances that 590 gives; for instance, I wouldn't use NM at all, but either UF or SO-type cables (or PVC conduit).

jap

Occupation
Electrician
We would first have to know if the temporary wiring methods were actually used.

The structures may be temporary, but, the rule is about the wiring, not the structure.

If temporary wiring methods aren't used, then, in my opinion the rule does not apply.

JAP>

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I am confused by the requirements of NEC 590. Temporary wiring is allowed for construction and holiday lighting. Is there a time limit on other temporary wiring, such as a large tent for a wedding or an art fair? Are such installs covered by NEC 590? Recently businesses (mostly restaurants) have constructed membrane structures, typically an open-sided covering to help space people do to health concerns surrounding coronavirus. These membrane structures are plainly not for construction or holiday lighting and are intended to be temporary. So I guess I am asking this: Does NEC 590 apply to other installs besides construction and holiday lighting and if so is there a time limit?
I think 590.3(C) pretty much covers it, and no, no time limit IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.