confusion on dedicated electrical space

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
boy, these posts move too fast lol......that phone system needs to go somewhere else. I don't think its a dedicated space violation, but a working clearance violation.
Only the part that impedes the opening of the cover is in violation IMO. I personally don't like the location of this equipment but don't feel it can be called an NEC violation either.

That is what I disagree with. I think it means the equipment must be associated with the panel install not covered in the NEC. If that is what they wanted then they should have said any equipment covered in the NEC is allowed.

If the phone equipment plugs into a 120 volt receptacle supplied by the panel does that change everything?

If you had 277/480 volt panel and 120/208 volt equipment similarly installed above such panel is that much different?

This is, as David said, a 110.26(A) issue and not a 110.26(F). Compliance with 110.26(A) would not be difficult or take a lot of time. They only have to get the bottom of the phone equipment to 6'6".
And if this equipment extends no more than 6 inches forward of the panel it can be right on top of the panel even if the top of panel is only 36 inches above the floor.

Again IMO telephone equipment doesn't belong there, but according to NEC I believe it is electrical equipment and not much can be said to cite code violations here - aside from the part that interferes with opening the panel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...And if this equipment extends no more than 6 inches forward of the panel it can be right on top of the panel even if the top of panel is only 36 inches above the floor. ...
That is based on your opinion that the phone equipment is "electrical" equipment. An opinion that I do not agree with.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the handbook take on it. I believe that is the electrical installations they are talking about.

Busways, conduits, raceways and cables are permitted to enter equipment thru this zone.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't think that the phone equipment should be there either, but where does the NEC disqualify it as "electrical equipment"?
Where does it state it is electrical equipment. Can I bolt a toaster on the wall and plug it in or put a tv.

kwired

Electron manager
Where does it state it is electrical equipment. Can I bolt a toaster on the wall and plug it in or put a tv.

Maybe, is the equipment mounted in the OP utilization equipment or just electrical equipment? I'd say the toaster and TV both have the added definition of utilization equipment, though they also still are electrical equipment Kind of no different than if you had some lighting contactors or motor starters mounted in that space. Can you put battery operated emergency light in this same space? I have seen that a few times. Can you put a receptacle in that space? The receptacle is maybe fine to have there but what about whatever will get plugged in? I see receptacles below panels all the time, that is dedicated space as well as part of working space also.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Where does it state it is electrical equipment.

The problem with this line of thinking is that the Code DOESN'T say that it needs to be "electrical equipment."

It says "Other Equipment associated with the electrical installation."

And the Code further says that "electrical installations" include signaling and communications equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The problem with this line of thinking is that the Code DOESN'T say that it needs to be "electrical equipment."

It says "Other Equipment associated with the electrical installation."

And the Code further says that "electrical installations" include signaling and communications equipment.

I understand the confusion. What I am saying is that I believe what they mean is the installation of the panel not all electrical installations. It should state that but it does not hence the confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.