Connecticut requirements for out-of-state contractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good evening, ladies and germs. 1642221040638.png

My aunt in Newington/Hartford is looking to get an ATS and whole-house genny, and probably a service upgrade.

Does anyone here know what would be required for me to be able to apply for a permit and do the work for her?

Found this:

Connecticut does not have reciprocity with any other state. You can submit an out-of-state license as proof of eligibility to take the state exams and receive a Connecticut electrical license.

And:

A homeowner can do his own work, if he occupies the home and does not rent out any part of it. The homeowner is still required to get a permit. With this exception, any individual doing permitted work must be licensed and registered with the State of Connecticut.

So looks like only men can get homeowner permits, sorry...

__dan

In Ct "any person" may pull a permit. And as far as I know that's for "any permit", I am guessing here that "any person" refers to the owner or owner's agent.

Where the applicant is a licensed person, the licensed person must sign the permit application.

Who may do the work, only (Ct DCP) licensed people and registered apprentices. J men must work under a contractor.

There are exceptions for single family owner occupied residence, the owner may do the work.

Ct I would usually advise just drive around the State, never drive to it or through it. Don't ask me how I know this.

So, as an out of State licensed person, the (single family residence owner / occupant) would pull the permit. You can do the work as long as legally, you were never there.

In Ct "any person" may pull a permit. And as far as I know that's for "any permit", I am guessing here that "any person" refers to the owner or owner's agent.

Where the applicant is a licensed person, the licensed person must sign the permit application.

Who may do the work, only (Ct DCP) licensed people and registered apprentices. J men must work under a contractor.

There are exceptions for single family owner occupied residence, the owner may do the work.

Ct I would usually advise just drive around the State, never drive to it or through it. Don't ask me how I know this.

So, as an out of State licensed person, the (single family residence owner / occupant) would pull the permit. You can do the work as long as legally, you were never there.
And you never know how fascist the inspector will be for a HO permit. They generally know that the HO didn't do the work but many don't make a stink about it....but some do. I looked into this for a friend once and the inspector said she would ask the HO lots of questions to determine if they indeed did the work. 🤨

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you all for these responses. Looks like I need to make a few phone calls on Monday.

Should I contact the state or the local city/county? (She's on Dover Rd. in Newington, CT)

__dan

Wethersfield I did a 100 A service change so they could sell the house. I did a quick count of the circuits and came up with 23. So instead of spending time trying to double up something, I just put in a small subpanel next to the main breaker 20/24 GE panel for the overflow.

Inspector called me every day for three days telling me I had to put in a 30 circuit panel and I kept saying that panel is 30 circuit 200 A bus, the service is only 100 A. I thought he would just get tired of calling me, but he was persistent.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
i wonder if you could work for a Conn EC for two or three days and then quit unexpectedly?
😉

__dan

Thank you all for these responses. Looks like I need to make a few phone calls on Monday.

Should I contact the state or the local city/county? (She's on Dover Rd. in Newington, CT)
The aunt should contact the town and pull the permit for what she wants. The large towns have their hands full and are not going to chase after a longtime town resident for work on her own home (she is not their tax base). The small towns are anti-building and have every trick in the book to intimidate the old ladies into staying home and not improving their property. So no guarantee in the small towns.

If she feels like playing upfront to see what the ruckus is about for having her nephew do the work. She would be better advised to say the nephew is doing the work rather than saying she has a guy from out of state coming there for that.

State authority not involved in that, just the town.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Some AHJ have a professional one time exemption allowing one permit/ job once all licensing and insurance requirements are meet. This is required to be in there amendments. I have used this before.
I do not know if it is allowed there.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The aunt should contact the town and pull the permit for what she wants. The large towns have their hands full and are not going to chase after a longtime town resident for work on her own home (she is not their tax base).
Since she also needs a service upgrade, the POCO will also need to be involved. Won't they require an inspection?

We will also need to hire a plumber for the natural gas, unless I can get away with doing that, too.

__dan

Since she also needs a service upgrade, the POCO will also need to be involved. Won't they require an inspection?

We will also need to hire a plumber for the natural gas, unless I can get away with doing that, too.
There is a service request form for Eversource and a color book for Eversource service requirements, approved meter sockets. Been a long time since I've done one, I forget what color the Eversource requirements book is. All should be online. Meter sockets from a local supply house Electrical Wholesalers / USEI (should be) on the POCO approved list. Eversource probably will not be too fussy about the out of state license and you can display it to them, chat them up. The aunt should not call Eversource, you do that.

Eversource service request form, then town inspection, the town turns it over Eversource for the final connection.

Eversource used to let us do cut and reconnect with approved connectors. The snap in wedge type with boots were approved as well as crimp barrel connectors, but again been so long since I did one the rules could have changed. POCO you can call and ask, let them know what day you want to tie over.

Don't know the rules for gas. It's possible the utility could require licensed person only, I would call and ask. Town permit could be HO type again but I don't know.

Last edited:

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Eversource allows cut and reconnect in their territory.

I am in CT, and I will tell you - some towns are very strict with what kind of work they can issue a home owner permit for. A branch circuit extension - maybe, a kitchen reno - perhaps, but when you are talking about a whole-house genny with an ATS or a service upgrade (for example), they require that a licensed contractor with a CT license pulls the permit.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am in CT, and I will tell you - some towns are very strict with what kind of work they can issue a home owner permit for. A branch circuit extension - maybe, a kitchen reno - perhaps, but when you are talking about a whole-house genny with an ATS or a service upgrade (for example), they require that a licensed contractor with a CT license pulls the permit.
I'm talking about both a gen/ATS and an upgrade. The question is what do I need to do to qualify?

I'm trying to see if I can save her money, despite my costs, as well as give her a top-quality installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.