Connecting 4-conductor Type-NM in panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

1st time I've run across this - never seen 4 conductor cables connected in this manner. Is this correct, with the "red" conductors connected to the grounding terminal bar? This is a sub panel

Attachments

• DSCF9083.JPG
    DSCF9083.JPG
    717.2 KB · Views: 72

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Where is the other end of the red?
Could be they just put the red there to be used later, thinking it would be better than just lose in the box?
Answer to your question, no it is wrong.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
My guess is they didn't have any 12-2 or 14-2 so they used 12-3/14-3. Didn't want to cut off the red so landed it on the ground bar.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
Further to what Jon wrote, I would like to see a tag on those red conductors to state where the other end resides and that they are unused if that's the case.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It could be for an IG, if they used a plastic box on the other end the EGC would already be isolated. :giggle:
Right. Every circuit is an IG circuit when wired with non-metallic components. ;)

I have cheated and used the stripped red conductor in MC as the EGC, and the green as the IGC.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Where do you see 4 conductor NM?

I don't believe an EGC can be anything other than bare, green or yellow with a green stripe. And you cannot reidentify anything that small with green tape either. So it doesn't belong there.

-Hal

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
well whoever did it, thought it out somewhat, the red and ground of each individual 3 wire is paired up accordingly doubled up under a specific lug on the ground bar. Not a random technique it seems.

kwired

Electron manager
Where do you see 4 conductor NM?

I don't believe an EGC can be anything other than bare, green or yellow with a green stripe. And you cannot reidentify anything that small with green tape either. So it doesn't belong there.

-Hal
It is 4 conductors or more commonly called three wire with ground. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.