Connecting concrete encased electrode to ground rod

zelada212

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Can I connect my foundation ground to a ground rod as a bonding jumper then go from the same ground rod to the meter with a separate cable? Boss man says you can't same goes with the inspector but they can't tell me or show me why. Anyone have any information on this would gladly appreciate it I am also having trouble finding where it states you can't.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A grounding electrode conductor from the service the UFER ground then a jumper to a ground rod ? Correct

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Rods only require #6 cu, but the foundation requires larger. If you use the larger the whole way, you can do it.

kwired

Electron manager
Welcome to the forum.

Rods only require #6 cu, but the foundation requires larger. If you use the larger the whole way, you can do it.
Really depends on size of service conductors, either could be smaller if small enough service conductors, but also a little rare to see anything but 6 run to a rod or pipe and 4 run to a CEE - neither one is ever required by NEC to be larger than those two sizes.

acin

Occupation
general building contractor est.1984 . C 10 elec. lic.as of 8 / 7/ 2020
Can I connect my foundation ground to a ground rod as a bonding jumper then go from the same ground rod to the meter with a separate cable? Boss man says you can't same goes with the inspector but they can't tell me or show me why. Anyone have any information on this would gladly appreciate it I am also having trouble finding where it states you can't.
i think if you have a CCE you dont need a ground rod

Buck Parrish

I have done what you are describing when my ufer was cut short by copper thieves. I installed a grd rod, clamped my short CEE to it with an acorn clamp, then went to the meter via an additional acorn ground clamp and another wire.
230.64 requires the GEC to be continuous or spliced with irreversible connectors or welded .
In my case the inspector said it looked okay.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
230.64 requires the GEC to be continuous or spliced with irreversible connectors or welded .
In my case the inspector said it looked okay.
In your case the GEC went to the rod and a bonding jumper went to the CEE which is code compliant. The GEC would need to be sized for the CEE.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As Infinity states, the GEC is the conductor to the first electrode, after that all others can be jumped together making sure they are correctly sized back to the first.

1709295267575.png