Connecting ground to the house structure gives better grounding tha a copper bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliolagos

i live in Mexico where no body uses grounded receptacles, there is a ground and neutral connection at the meter but not always at the first panel, some don’t even pull a ground wire to the main panel because they don’t intend to do grounded circuits ;no one here does ,the ones that do, use a secondary rod which is not attached to neutal just goes to the circuits so that leaves only the neutral/ground connection at the meter, with that said my house has better grounding or less resistance at the rebar of my foundation than at the grounding rod that connects At the meter with neutral. I tested this connecting a light bulb to a hot and to the rebar I tried I burried a grounding rod on the walls of a well adobe the water where the earth is wet and at least 6 ft deeper than the rod I’m using and nothing no light. So I got light with the rebar of the house but not with the rod in well

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
A far as you only seeing a ground rod tied at the meter and not at the panel is because there are 3 options on where to ground. ..... 1) at first means of disconnect or 2) meter enclosure or 3) at the point where power company attaches to your service wires. Since the wires from meter to your panel are still (service entrance conductors) you do not have to run a seperate ground wire between them.

Its also recognized that indeed the footer rebar (Ufer) is the best to use. Just as you’ve discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.