connecting stranded wire to receptacles/commercial use

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie

Re: connecting stranded wire to receptacles/commercial use

If you are talking about what is required to get a piece of equipment listed, then I agree. However, if you are talking about a device, such as a 15 ampere, 125 volt receptacle, then I stand by my argument. The standard applies to the manufacturer even if the manufacturer is the electrician. :D

hardworkingstiff

It just makes good sense to terminate stranded wire on a device with wire terminals (unless the device is specifically made to accept a stranded wire). This should be SOP for any good electrician.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.

In the Electrician's Bible, years ago, the recommended way to place stranded wire under a binding screw is as follows. </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Strip wire to allow spinning the wire strands reverse to there natural lay.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Twist wire in reverse of the lay.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Use needle nose to make a 270 degree clock wise loop in the wire.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stick wire under screw and tighten.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The wire strands should pull in to make a neat and journeyman like job.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
This was last read back in apprenticeship days (84-88), but still works if you don't have a sta-kon available.

Status
Not open for further replies.