connector backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedypetey

Re: connector backwards

Originally posted by binney:
Member # 12900
Why don't you just put the connector on the cable before you mount the panel. Then mount the panel and run the LN and bushing on.

2 reasons.
1. When running the cable through a solid concrete wall it's easier to face the locknut and bushing to the back,then set screws on the connector. The LN and bushing fit in the hole we drill for the SE cable. If you put the set screws to the back you need to get the BFH and the chisel out to make room for the screws. (if your solution to that problem is drill a bigger hole, I've found out the hard way people have a hard time with you drilling a hole any bigger than absolutely necessary in there new poured walls.)

2. There's more room for error. Nothing makes me more mad, than hanging the panel up, and finding out I can't get the LN and bushing on. That's why a lot a guys just float the wire in, and don't tighten the set screws.
If it's quicker, easier and safe why not do it?
So you're not mounting your panel boards on a piece of plywood?
I usually drill a 4" hole saw in a 32"x48" piece of 3/4"CDX at my connector. This is plenty for the connector to fit in even with it's long screws.
Mainly though I use a 2" pvc nipple between back to back enclosures. Mount one, measure for the nipple, mount the other.

[ December 14, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: speedypetey ]

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified

The only time I've used plywood is on a remodel with an old stone wall or an uneven surface.

What is your reasoning for the plywood?

My new company likes to pinch pennies, I like to see the look they'd give if i'd ask for a piece of plywood. They laughed when i asked for one this summer for a stone wall.

Sometimes were stuck between what we feels is right, what the inspector feels is right, and ultimately what our bosses see as right.

speedypetey

99% of our panel installations are on block or poured walls, usually in basements. I know there is a code ruling saying any below grade installation has to have a barrier or gap from the mounting surface in this situation. I can't look it up right now. Anyone have that article handy?

I also like having a wood surface to screw & staple to. Makes for a nice clean installation.

Pretty sad that you higher-ups give you a hard time over something so, IMO, important. I probably wouldn't last long there. I'd tell them where to stick their pennies!

speedypetey

I found what I was referring to. 312.2(A) It's with regard to a 1/4" air space from damp or wet installations. We've just become used to putting a board behind any resi panel. This has always been approved to cover this article. If it's actually wet I use PT plywood.

jimwalker

The number i don't have but you cannot put untreated wood on masonary walls as it will get termites.Have been caught a few times when a helper grabed scraps of wood to mount a plastic box on a block wall

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified

Pretty sad that you higher-ups give you a hard time over something so, IMO, important. I probably wouldn't last long there. I'd tell them where to stick their pennies!

I used to have that kind of attitude, it resulted in me being layed off for 6 months and scrabling to find a new job in a roller coaster of an economy.

I'd like the addition of the plywood for stapling and mounting puposes, but i'll have to do without for now.

ryan_618

Jim: The reason I ask is that I know Florida has it's own building code, bot I beleive it is based on the International Building Code. Not withstanding a local amendment, you may want to ask your inspector for a code reference. From what I have seen, the IBC/IRC only requires protection such as you state for structural elements.

Sorry about the threadjack :roll:

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Jim so you too have been bitten by the building dept.Guys in this back woods area these inspectors are losing there minds they pick a job apart as hard as we do here.Come on in a perfect world sure but we don`t live in a perfect world.Look at some of my prior posts.From being tagged for 1/4 combustiable material on a panel gap too a tag for the phone wire (installed by others)300 d 4,since 2002 puts 800 in our area of responsibility.Jim give Catus a call.We need a good Electrician all to many installers here

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by pierre:
I tend to agree with David that the conductors inside the enclosure have more of a chance of damage to them based on bending the conductors to shape them to the enclosure. Most will not or cannot bend the cable outside the enclosure the same as the conductors on the inside.
I see what you are saying but isn't that more of an installer issue then a connector issue.

For more fun can anyone here show documentation that there is a direction?

I have never seen an instruction that tells us we must use the connector in one direction or the other.

I almost never install them backward and when I have it has been plastic NM connectors, this can come in handy when fishing circuits into enclosures.

If you are going to fail something don't you need proof it is a violation? ;)

pierre

Bob
Some of the code language does not always spell out 'exactly how'. So this tends to leave us with a 'gray' area or an area left to interpretation by many :D . In truth that also has a large impact on these forums in our form of discussion :D

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.