Connector req'd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.d. cronk

This is a fairly trivial question so don't blast me please; just one of those things that came up here in the office and would like some more opinions.

Does a GEC require a connector to be installed where the conductor enters a 1/2" k.o. in the service disconnect enclosure?

NEC 110.12a was discussed but technically is it still an "unused " opening if it has a conductor installed?

Any thoughts?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Re: Connector req'd?

Yes.
The GEC itself does not require a connector. However a single #6 in a 7/8" dia (1/2" KO) hole will leave a gap that is larger than 1/4" dia. which will not be in compliance with NEMA/UL Type 1 and 3R enclosures. A connector will fill the gap bringing the enclosure back into compliance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Jim,
Some 3R enclosures have a small KO about the size of a #4 or 6 conductor. What if that KO was used for the GEC?
Don

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

As Don suggested, every panel I recall, even NEMA 1's, have a couple of <1/2" KO's at each end, which I've always used for grounding conductors.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Don,
As I said the GEC does not need anything.

Simplistically put, any time a 1/4" dia. rod can enter an enclosure, it definitely no longer meets Type 1 and 3R requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.